Day 6: And also, a sister

Being the middle child has its drawbacks - largely in the "Oh yeah! There's a middle child!" category. We are the quiet ones. The peacemakers. The "where did I leave that one?" kids.

But being in the middle of the pack does have its benefits, the foremost being that the trail has been blazed by that trailblazing first born.

My sister is my invaluable trailblazer. For decades now, I have followed in her footsteps and she has always been gracious enough to advise me on where to step and where not to step. Sometimes verbally. Sometimes by example.

Sister, you are a faithful friend. A cheerleader. A rally-er of troops. You are an inspiring mother - giving, serving, planning, plotting. Your thoughtfulness is backed up by actions - you see needs and you meet them, end of story. You are an endless resource of emotional and physical support, not just to me but to anyone who needs you.

You are a gifted leader and organizer. Your love for traditions, quality time and special experiences holds people together and gives us things to look forward to, which is as much of a gift as the experience itself.

I like the rare occasions that we actually get to sit and chat, especially if we get to laughing. I don't laugh with many people the way I do with you - I think that comes from being known and understood so well. I like hearing your perspective on situations, because though we share DNA and a personality, our life experiences bring us at things from different angles which is fun, and your thoughts make me richer.

I like that you go the extra mile to make sure people are taken care of, like making freezer meals for grandmothers or bringing vegetable trays to a concert.

I love you, sister. You are my friend, and I really like being with you.

---------------------------------------------------
Now...who do you need to tell?

This post is part of a 31 day writing challenge. 
You can find links to the rest of the posts in the series here.

Comments

Unknown said…
Dear Amy what a beautiful gift to give your family. I loved that what you wrote was not only amazingly eloquent but also spot on true. I want you to know that I feel an amazing amount of admiration and respect for you as well as deep affection but I also want you to know that I really really like you. Love Dianne

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Block the Door

It's Time to Stop the Bleeding: A Manifesto on Friendship