The Plan

I mentioned in my last post that I had told a lot of people "my plan."

In fact, I don't know if I've ever spoken as recklessly as I have in the last week. Somehow, I have worked it into every conversation, posted it on facebook and, obviously, am blogging for the "world" to read.

I'm used to saying things like "when I fit into the rest of my wardrobe..." or "I'm trying to eat better." Sometimes I'll publicly deliberate between a salad and a cheeseburger. I'll complain or commiserate with girlfriends and throw a number out there - "there's just this extra 20 pounds..." but this week has seen the new, honest, vulnerable (and reckless) Amy.

"I'm going to lose 15 pounds in 2 months," I've heard myself blurt out to anyone within earshot. It's an approximation, but girlfriends, their husbands, family, and everyone on the internet is now privy to my struggle. The immediate follow-up question, I've found, is:

"Great! How are you going to do it?"

Well, thanks for asking. Here's my plan:

1. I am going to eat less and move more. I know how to make good choices. I'm going to make them.

2. I will make exercise more of a priority and push myself harder.

3. I will use sparkpeople.com to track my diet and fitness accomplishments, including their "bootcamp" plan that starts on January 3. (Today!)

4. I will try any tip suggested. So far I've increased the incline on my treadmill to its steepest grade and eliminated french fries from my diet. Next, I will do the Dancing with the Stars DVD workout. Feel free to throw your suggestions at me. For two months, I'm yours.

5. I will tell the world my plan. First, because nothing (besides air travel) frightens me more than failing publicly. Whether anyone actually cares if I succeed, I will know that someone might be watching. Second, I have some great people in my life, and I plan to rely on their support and accountability. This part includes blogging tirelessly.

I realize this doesn't sound that specific. But it's what will work for me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Publicly putting yourself out there is definitly a high motivator for me too. That's why I don't usually tell people my dreams. Spouting my mouth off about my nose ring is pretty much the only way I'm actually going to do it. I'll feel very sheepish if I don't...so May 10th...right?

AND...when I come up with some other completely random entertaining things for you to try...I'll let you know ;)

--Rhoda
Autumn said…
I can relate, as far as failing publicly...I fail miserably all.the.time. but it's when everyone knows about my failure that it stings the most. So while you are loosing your 15 lbs...publicly (and I know you can do it...) I'll be cheering you on...and...I'll be back in school...working toward a nursing degree--my new PUBLIC 5 year goal. So God willing we will Succeed with flying colors...and if you would like I'll throw a 3 month membership in at my Club in Ft. Lauderdale...if you think you'll go. :0) The only thing I suggest is that you consider inches & body fat % rather than a number of lbs...just a thought...from experience with my biz.
Amy said…
Rhoda, be nice. I'll be dancing off the pounds today! :)

HipMama - that's fantastic, good for you!! How fulfilling and exciting! Thanks for the offer, but part of my problem, historically AND currently is being able to get to a gym! I'll let you know if I can take you up on it...and yes, inches are better. I will measure today.
I never measure inches, but that's a good idea. Will you review the Dancing with the Stars video for us? I'd love to hear how it is.

I started a water aerobics class this morning. It is HUGE for me, and I am pretty sure I'll be in pain tomorrow - but I'm so excited!
Amy said…
Mary, that's great! How often will you go? I've always been curious about water aerobics. And yes, I will review the Dancing with the Stars DVD!
Missy Roepnack said…
I grew up on Weight watchers. And I had an eating disorder by the end of it. counting points for food was a badddd idea for someone as OCD as me. Also, eating little cakes the did not taste like cake and smelled like detergent out of little WW packages got old, and I think eventually made me sick long term.

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome now, so I was forced through my illness to learn about what FOOD is. Food is anything that if left on the counter would die. No packages. No weird inredients.
IBS put me on the GOD diet. (Thats what i call it). I eat things that God made, in the form HE made it in. Animals. Plants. Grains. I do this pretty much exclusively, except when pregnant. I never think about calories. I never think about how much I eat. My weight stays the same no matter what or how much i eat. My skin glows. I have a high energy level with no crashes. The benefit list goes on and on. Best of all, because of what i learned, I feed my kids this way. Lilly eats an entire avocado like I have given her a Snickers.

I have a few books I am going to suggest once I get a moment to send you the list off of amazon. If WW doesn't do the trick this time, I suggest a food revolution. (per a recent guest on oprah)

Remember: the definition of insanity is trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.

I think based on my comment splurge here I need to start blogging. I do not normally have the time but today the stars have aligned and I have "me" time at the same time as coffee. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?