Day 4: Did You Know I Have a Brother?

Today, I was watching a football game with some friends, and a 16-year-old picture of my little brother flashed on the screen. It was just for a second, but my husband and I both spotted him and said something, which resulted in a minute or two of stopping, rewinding, playing again, screen grabbing. As a few of us were having fun with grabbing his mug off the tube, one good friend got hung up on a little detail:

"I didn't know you had a brother!"

Not, "I didn't know your brother played football," or "I didn't know he was a quarterback," - it was a full fledged denial of his very existence.

Oops.

I DO have a brother, and our lives are lived more or less on top of each other - sharing circles of people, but rarely the same circle. I assume, because we grew up here kind of as a pair, that everyone knows him...or at least knows about him. Turns out, I do have a brother, and I like him very much.

Brother, I like you because you are true. As brilliant and sufficient and successful as you are, your dependency on Christ shows through in everything you do. You are funny and fun-loving. You are disciplined and focused. I love to see you in conversation with other people - the way your face lights up and your hereditary big eyebrows animate. I like your ability to focus on a topic in spite of the rest of us chasing rabbits - you ground us, but you dream too. I like that someday, we may actually take over the world with you at the helm.

You are a sweet, dedicated husband and a great dad, raising strong and sensitive boys. I like being around you with them, and I like seeing how your demeanor is different with your nieces. Must be weird for you to see three little Amys running around, but you seem to have overcome your flashbacks. I like the rare occasions that we get to play together, and how it reminds me of growing up with you as my primary playmate.

I think you're a cool guy, and I love you. But I want you to know that I like you, too. And I'll stop keeping you a secret.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Now... who do you need to tell?




This post is part of a 31 day writing challenge. 
You can find links to the rest of the posts in the series here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Block the Door

It's Time to Stop the Bleeding: A Manifesto on Friendship