Day 3: My Better Half

"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." 
- When Harry Met Sally

Oh, Harry & Sally. It's my favorite romantic comedy of all time. The story is perfect. (Real, messy people!) The setting is perfect. (New York City!) The music is perfect. (Harry Connick, Jr.!) And this quote is so perfect, because life together isn't sustained by a feeling in your gut or starry eyes or whatever...a life of love together is sustained by acknowledging that there are a million different little things about the other person that you like. 

For example, I like that my husband is tall and handsome. I like that he is playful with everyone. He is seriously fun to be around. He is thoughtful and gentlemanly. He takes time to know people. He is really, really good at being a friend. His sense of humor is goofy. His knowledge of comedy movie quotes (and ability to quote them at the right time) is encyclopedic. He is as comfortable talking about investing as he is talking about the Muppets. He is dedicated to our church family. He seeks God's counsel, surrounds himself with Godly friends, is sacrificially generous. He makes dinner (or dinner reservations), he hires babysitters, he plans parties. He can change lightbulbs without having to stand on a chair. He can keep any handy friends company while they do the other stuff. He rarely thinks I'm crazy.

He will sing karaoke, dance on stage, out-prank, out-joke, out-loud-laugh with the best of them. He is my favorite concert partner because he might sing louder than me, and he's tall enough to stand behind me and provide a nice buffer between me and the rest of the crowd. He is a great dad who will play on the floor, in a princess tent, ride in a Barbie jeep. He's super cool, but not too cool for anything. He is up for adventure, or he is up for marathon TV watching together. Whatever.

He is devoted to his family. He will stay on the phone forever laughing with friends. He stands strong in important matters, like his aversion to mushrooms. He walks in the door with a smile and greets me with a kiss before doing anything else.

I love you, husband. But I really, really like you. Thanks for liking me back.
------------------------------------------

Now...who do you need to tell?


This post is part of a 31 day writing challenge. 
You can find links to the rest of the posts in the series here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Block the Door

It's Time to Stop the Bleeding: A Manifesto on Friendship