Day 1: Mom


Let's pretend this was posted Wednesday, okay? Thanks.

Because, Wednesday, in addition to being the first day of October and the first day of this writing challenge, was also, a number of years ago, the first day of my mom's life.

So it seemed like a good opportunity to spend some time telling my mom why I like her. But I missed it.

Mom, I like you because I don't think you'll care that this is a day late. I like that you're laid back like that. (At least it's earlier than your real present!)

Mom, I like you because whenever humanly possible, you are smiling. You not only tolerate us and all of our mood swings, difficulties and take-over-the-world tendencies, you are the hub of the wheel and your dedication to gathering the 20 of us together as often as possible is establishing a legacy of family togetherness that will endure. I like that when my friends run into you around town they a) know who you are, and b) make a point to tell me how sweet you are.

I like you because you are up for anything. Outings, sleepovers, roller coasters, concerts, travel -always travel - you are a dependable playmate for all of us. You make things fun for your grandkids and us, and seem to genuinely enjoy doing it.

I like hearing stories of your adventures growing up around the world and traveling it last week or last month or what you have planned next year. I love that you want to share more of those adventures with us, and that you don't look at us like we're crazy when we ask for input about a trip we're planning for 2019 - usually because you've already thought of it. I love that you listen and ask questions and make a point to know each and every one of your kids and grandkids in a special way. And I love that your friends have been friends for decades - your loyalty inspires me.

I like how selflessly you serve. I like that you are committed not only to our family, but also to your church family. I like that you have let God work in your life over our lifetimes, and I like that we have all benefited from your openness to His leading.

I like sitting together with a diet coke, commiserating about our genetic predisposition to sweets and aversion to dieting and exercise.  I like sharing music and movies and tv shows and books with you. I like that you are always learning and growing and encouraging us to do the same. 

I love you, mom. But I like you, mom, because you are easy to be with. You have established a comfortable and welcoming home to match your ever-sweet disposition. I like having you around. And Happy Birthday!

--------------------------------------------------
Now...who do you need to tell?

 


This post is part of a 31 day writing challenge. 
You can find links to the rest of the posts in the series here.

Comments

traciebee said…
Sweet post. The old song "You Should Hear How She Talks About You" came to mind! What a lovely tribute, Amy~

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Block the Door

It's Time to Stop the Bleeding: A Manifesto on Friendship