I'm a Runner! I Run! With the shoes and the road and everything!

While running through the neighborhood this week, (I know, right? I ran through the neighborhood! Alone! I'm awesome!) I kept huffing something to myself.

Over and over and over again, with the rhythm of my heavy breathing, I huffed:

"Not by might (gasp!) nor by power (gasp!) but by my Spirit, says The LORD." It's from Zechariah 4:6. God is talking to someone named Zerubbabel but I didn't know that when I was running. Okay, let's call it jogging.

I think it pops in there because it was written somewhere on a wall at my Christian school. Maybe in the gym. And because it seems appropriate, especially when I'm running. Jogging.

Speaking of jogging and my Christian school, I remember having to run the mile in 8th grade PE. I was an athlete, albeit not a fast one. But I was still pretty confident in my abilities. The Varsity basketball coach was an 8th grade teacher and I guess we saw him right after PE. Assumedly scouting out his upcoming talent, he asked us our times. When I reported mine he said, "Are you sure?" I answered affirmatively, only to receive the dejecting comeback, "I could walk it that fast."

I knew I was slow. I knew I had come in last, or maybe next-to-last. But obviously those words hurt, because I remember them twenty years later. And I never became a runner. I've run a bit here and there, and since then I've been able to build up some endurance and bang out a few miles at a time on the treadmill, but I have never been comfortable running with people, or alone in public for that matter.

So as I braved the busy road to begin my "training" for whatever goal I'm going to choose, I had instant remorse. I pictured my 8th grade teacher walking beside me, his words taunting me, as I labored to put one leaden foot in front of the other on pavement instead of conveyor belt. I suddenly felt all alone, as if the rest of my class was so far ahead that they'd already made the turn at the end of the road, and I really, really wanted to turn back. Admit that I'd made a mistake and overestimated myself. Come home and pop in an exercise DVD.

But I didn't. Not by might, nor by power, but by God's Spirit I finished my run - about 1.75 miles - without stopping to walk or die along the way somewhere.

The subconscious recall of that verse was a really good reminder for me that no matter what challenge I undertake, like my friend Zerubbabel learned, it will not be accomplished by my own might or power, but by allowing God's spirit to take over and do it His way. One leaden foot at a time.

Comments

Melanie said…
Great verse, friend! It's one of my favorites. I learned it as a kid and still sing the song in my head when I have one of those days, seconds, or moments of doubt that I just can't do it. Well sometimes *I* can't do it, but God in me can. I believe it!!! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to cover 1.75 of FL asphalt. High Five. High 10. A holler from up here to down there. :-) I love hearing your story and it's inspiring me to create my own.
Rebecca said…
If you were second to last, I was probably the last one to finish in the mile! :) Somewhere in college I got past my high school stereotype of un-athletic thanks to Gordon's outdoor focus. It really saved me. It is amazing, though, how much those junior high/high school moments still come to mind when I accomplish something physically... I get a special sense of glee at proving people wrong about who I am/was. And sometimes I think those same people who picked me last for teams in PE class would be left in the dust if we hiked together. All to say... instead of letting those moments discourage you, use it to encourage you. Prove them wrong! Your 8th grade mile is not the end of Amy's fitness story. And, of course, God will be there to help you do that.
Rhoda said…
Being a teacher, well ok, not a practicing one, but being trained as a teacher, it really sadens me to hear that your middle school teacher hurt you so much. Especially in the area of physical educations, since that's my speciality (and if I actually had any type of passion for school type stuff, that would be it).
SO...I am very proud of you to overcome that. And praise God for that verse!!!
Amy said…
Thanks, ladies! Hoping to hit the pavement again tomorrow, now with your encouraging words in mind!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?