Excuse #1: Family History


I come from, on one side, a long line of hearty, Scottish stock. On the other side, it is a long line of hearty, Southern stock. We've got a whole lot of farming in our background. And I think I know why.

We're built like farmers.

Okay, I say that not having spent a lot of time around farmers, and I'm sure they don't all adhere to one specific body type. But I think that this body type, the one I inherited from my Scottish/Southern ancestry, would be good for farming.

Maybe it's the broad shoulders that are good for carrying things to and from the fields, or the long torso that's good for bending over to plant or uproot. Then there's the short, stocky legs that are perfect for powering through soft, dusty fields. (Clearly, I'm picturing Little House on the Prairie farming, where Pa was always powering through soft, dusty fields.)

Bottom line is: You want speed, you pick someone else for your team. If it's power you're looking for, then we're your family.

I have grown up understanding that no one looks at our family and thinks "skinny." Not that they think "fat," but, if they see "skinny," then they need their prescription adjusted.

And there you have it, excuse number 1. My inherited body type won't let me be skinny.

At first analysis, there are at least two things wrong with that statement. One, who says? and Two, why do I care about skinny? Why not just focus on fit?

My inherited body type will absolutely let me be fit. My body will respond to healthy eating and exercise, because that's what it was created to do. Maybe I have done it a terrible disservice over the years - giving up on it without giving it a chance. Because, if I'm being honest, no one would look at my family and think, "healthy eaters," either. Again, not unhealthy, per se, but, we enjoy our meals. And each others' meals. And their desserts.

So, now that I've come clean with that one, I can't use it anymore. It's wiped from the repertoire.

Comments

Tina T. said…
Actually, Amy, this excuse makes medical sense. It is impossible to change your body type without surgery or an eating disorder (see Brittany Murphy). Two of my kids are skinny, and one is not. That's the way God made them.
Amy said…
You're right, I can't change my body type. But I can do the best with the body type that I have. That's why I have to do away with the focus on "skinny." I guess the point here is that I can't use body type as an excuse not to take care of myself.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?