I Love Old Rockers

You probably know by now that I'm a music lovin' girl. An aficionado of the concert event. A live performance snob.

My many years of arena shows have been fulfilling. Not in a Jesus-replacing kind of way, but in a "talent like this is evidence of God" and "emotional response this powerful is evidence of a soul" kind of way. Regardless of who is onstage singing about what, and what they did before or after the show, I have that kind of affirming experience.

Now, you know how I feel about Billy, and the decision I made regarding his last tour. We've been through that. And you know how I feel about Third Day, and how I got way up there on my high horse about their ticket prices at their last show here. I'm becoming far more protective of my live music budget in my old age, which makes these upcoming decisions kind of difficult.

So I seek your advice.

First, you should know that I am in possession of a very hot ticket for the end of May. VERY hot. And not "hot" as in "man, it's hot in South Florida at the end of May." No, ladies, this one's for you...I will be shrieking it up for Jordan, Jon, Joey, Danny & Donny. I really wish I still had my T-shirts, hats, etc., but it gives me an excuse to buy the one that says "Too late, Jon! I'm married now..." I could write this off as a fun girls' night out, but the truth is that I'm a fan. Was a fan. I'm not expecting that "evidence of God or a soul" response, but I do expect to have a pretty awesome time.

Now, if I wouldn't pay for Billy...should I pay for Steven? I love Aerosmith, and I am absolutely fascinated by Steven Tyler. Fascinated. I don't really know how to process him. If I catch him on TV, nothing else has my attention - I just watch and listen, in some kind of trance. Here's an example. Watch that and try to find a place to file it away. There's no place for that, and I love it.
But I have never seen him live, and I think I would like to. Plus, they're coming with ZZTop.

And THEN... we've got Def Leppard, Poison and Cheap Trick on their way, too.

I see what's happening here. I have an affinity for bands or artists who have not had a hit in 15 years or more, and they are all on their "we need money" tours. Should I do my part to keep their children fed?

Hmmm...Perhaps I can start a new ministry that buys concert tickets for people in order to feed the hungry children of aging and fading rockstars who have misspent their millions...

Comments

Loren Eaton said…
I saw Aerosmith live once and was amazed to learn that Steven Tyler really is that ugly in person.
Amy said…
Loren - EXACTLY. These are the kinds of things that intrigue me. Would he be able to hit those high (awesome) screams if God hadn't given him a double-sized mouth?
What perplexes me is how a man so very homely could have produced a daughter so very lovely that actually looks a good deal like him.
Amy said…
Another excellent example of the mystery that is Steven Tyler! I think I must investigate. From within the arena.
Hmmmm...interesting questions, all. First, I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Aerosmith. A couple of my best girlfriends in high school were, and I think I just got burned out back then.

Second, the hair band trio is coming here, too - and I think that would be a really fun concert! I vote for that one.

And last but most certainly not least, wow. You are going to have so much fun at the NK concert! And actually, I can imagine you'd have an emotional response to their talent that shows evidence of...wait, I don't think I'm saying this right. What I mean is - cheesy as it may be, I bet they'll be good. But if you dissolve into a screaming girly mess, will you please do your blog readers the honor of making a video? ;)
Amy said…
If anything is video worthy, you have my word, Mary. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?