The things I need

Occasionally, I get sick. In theory, I get sick more often than the average Jane, because I have this immunodeficiency. Now, that may or may not be the case - it certainly was as a kid - but either way, having spent a fair amount of time under the weather, I have developed a sick system.

When I recognize my body spiraling toward illness, I load up on Emergen-C. It may or may not do any good, but it is soothing to drink and makes me feel like I am doing something healthy.

Usually, my throat will go from suspicious to painful during the course of a day. When this happens, I place a call to my husband and he picks up my staples: Citrus Cooler Gatorade (which I water down and drink without ceasing until I am well), Sudacare Shower Soothers and Benadryl. These things may or may not help. I place a box of tissues in every room and keep Chapstick within reach at all times. I do not take cold medicine. I take a planet-endangering number of hot showers - especially if it's cold and dry outside. My body subsists on humidity. Take it away and I'm like E.T. needing to return to the Home Planet.

My sick appetite varies from my healthy appetite in one main way - I crave salt like a pregnant woman. I like chicken soup, but I NEED spicy...salty...savory. This week I have had 2 cheeseburgers, a buffalo chicken wrap and Chinese food.

When my throat clears up and the achy miserableness goes away and I am left with only sinus symptoms, then I bring in the Neti Pot - a new addition to my sick system. It's ugly to watch, but it's remarkably cleansing.

So now you know what has been keeping me busy this week. What is your sick system?

Comments

Jim Jordan said…
When this happens, I place a call to my husband and he picks up my staples:

Your husband is an awesome guy! I knew that already...

I never get sick but I'm spastic and, thus, accident prone. My sick system is usually an ice pack...
Brenda said…
Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. My system is Airborne. I take it at the first sign of something coming on and it does the job. This may or may not work for you. :)
cool mum said…
My system is just to be in denial and call it "allergies." I do love Citrus Cooler Gatorade though! It is by far the best flavor although it seems hard to find.

The part about putting tissues in every room made me laugh...sounds like you're preparing for a houseguest! In my denial, I always grumble about having to go to the bathroom to get toilet paper every time I need to blow my nose.
Autumn said…
Amy,

I know this is getting repetivtive...but I am so passionate about it! You need to try juice plus! It increases your anti-oxidants by 75% (the things that keep you from getting sick and fight free radicals--the things that make you sick)....it took many many months of sick kids to finally give in to my skeptisism and try it, and their health has never been the same. Anyway, you don't need to get it from me...I'm sure you know someone that sells this at home, but if not let me know. It's well worth it. :) you could call me if you have any questions.

I'm sorry you've been sick and hope you feel better.

Hip Mama
Sorry to hear that you've been sick, Amy! We've all got the sick this weekend, too. I need a better system, though - if it were just me, I'd try my best to sleep it off. As it is, I'm alternating between drinking lots of fluids and trying to entertain a sick, cranky kid. One thing I do is take Tylenol Cold or Nyquil at the first sign of something - it knocks me out and helps me get a better night's sleep - and that can only help.

I hope you get better soon!
Amy said…
Hope you all feel better too!
HipMama, I do actually have Eden on Juice Plus and have noticed - at least- a decrease in the severity of her illnesses! So maybe I'll give it a try, too...I do sneak a few of her gummies from time to time, (I know that's not how it works).
Autumn said…
I'm glad Eden (BTW I love her name--never told you that)takes it. Ya, adults are susposed to take 6 of each of the gummies. It's not that my kids never get sick, although they don't get sick very often--I do have Quinny home today with a fever. :) figures. But it doesn't seem to last that long.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?