A Bible Study Story

Today is one of those days where I just walk around my house and look at stuff. I might actually pick something up and move it to another location, or I might straighten a pile of papers into a neat little stack, or I might kick some shoes out of a main thoroughfare. Or I might not. If I don't, it's because I am physically unable to make progress in any direction.

I hate these days.

One of the things I value most on a daily basis is my own productivity. When I effectively pair it with its sister value, efficiency, I am in my own little self-righteous-sufficient utopia. On the days when the opposite is occurring, I am miserable. Seriously, I feel like a flat-out, 100%, crawl-back-into-bed-and-hide-under-the-covers failure.

It's a totally fallacious sentiment, I know. That's one of the reasons why I find these days so frustrating. Regardless of how many times I tell myself that it's okay to take a day off, or to not be at the top of my game all the time...no matter how often I remind myself that my self-sufficiency is completely bogus anyway because I am nothing without Christ...I catch myself with my head swimming around a to-do list that is growing instead of shrinking and think, "I am failing."And then I feel like more of a failure for feeling like a failure.

You know how when you ask your computer to do something and that little flashlight icon comes up to tell you that the processor is searching for a way to do what you're asking it to do? That's how my head feels. I can see that little flashlight panning around while my brain searches for something that will satisfy this restlessness...I try exercise, cleaning, chocolate...all in vain, until my eyes light on the one thing that will calm me.

Opening to Isaiah 58, my assigned study for the week, I learn about - are you ready for this? - taking a Sabbath. Seriously. That was what my lesson today was about. Today, when I sat down, practically in tears about not being able to get my work done. Okay, now I'm in tears writing about it.

Isaiah 58 begins with God saying to Israel, basically: "Hey. Stop it. You wonder why I'm not hearing you? You are only trying to please yourselves. This "fasting" that you're doing? You're not getting it. You are going through some motions, but you are missing the point. It's not about you." The people would do these days of fasting where they would starve themselves and hang their heads and lay on sackcloth instead of cushy beds, but their behavior didn't change at all - they were still awful to one another, taking advantage of the people that worked for them and fighting with each other. Their self-denial was only a checklist, not a life of service.

God goes on to talk about what true fasting and Sabbath look like and there are all kinds of references to fighting for social justice, doing away with the yoke of oppression, sharing food with the hungry and clothing the naked. God says if we stop doing as we please and spend ourselves doing these things, then "The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." God's word doesn't promise that if I am faithful with sweeping my kitchen floor, straightening up after my kids, organizing my coupons and folding my laundry, then he will give me the strength I need to serve Him...He says it's the other way around. It's not about me. He doesn't want my completed checklist. He wants me.


When I find myself feeling like a failure, it is because I am making it all about me ("I am less valuable when I am not getting things done"). When I am overwhelmed, it is all about me ("How will people perceive me if I don't get it all done myself?"). When I am singularly focused on crossing things off the list, it is all about me. ("There is no room for God's derailment.")

The ONLY way for me to remember this is by allowing God to tell me, every single day. I think God lets me get into this paralyzed state to remind me, like he did today, that it's not about me. That he has different plans for me, and they are much bigger. I wanted to keep my house clean? He wants me to defeat social injustice. Clearly, we should talk more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is a roundabout way of participating in the Remarkable Faith series, at Giving Up on Perfect. I have been a student in Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) for eleven years and cannot recommend it highly enough for in depth, life changing study.

Comments

I love your roundabout way. :) I've never been in a BSF. Hadn't even heard of one, actually, until last year! Isn't it amazing (every single time) when God gives us the EXACT scripture we need, RIGHT when we need it? I love that about Him.
Amy said…
The thing that amazes me, particularly about BSF study, is that the lesson is planned basically years in advance, so not only did God know that I would need it today, He knew years ago that I would need it today...
Junruh said…
Thanks, Amy - and Lisa for pointing me here today.
Karin Dewey said…
Wow. When did you come put cameras in my house and start watching me? You most elequently put into words how I feel almost every day. Thank you for this reminder. I think I'm going to have to laminate it and put it on my mirror. Thanks to Lisa for posting the link too! :)
Julie Keefe said…
Mmmmmm. Yes. Yes. Yes. Thank you, Lisa. Thank you, Amy.
I love this! I Love BSF - found Jesus through women in BSF, joined and recieved a foundation for my faith in BSF, met my husband through the singles BSF in KC...Awesome!

But I am amazed that everything I read tonight is perfect for a speaking event I am preparing for in May. But, WHY am I amazed? God knows what I need. Thank you, God!
Thanks for a great share, Amy!
Amy said…
Thank you all for stopping by! I'm glad I'm not the only one, and that God's lesson for me last week spoke to you as well!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?