Today is just not happening

Today is one of those days when I just can't...get it...together.

I can't. I have been back to bed twice, hoping that pushing the reset button will make it all better, but it's not working.

Today was supposed to be a kind of back-to-the-grind day, as we've been on "Spring Break" for about a month (yay, homeschooling!!) So I stuck to my (fading) guns and we got school & piano done, and even did some of the things that we don't do on lesser-motivated days. We took a series of photos observing our new garden.We planted seeds in our little greenhouse box, we went outside and tried out the new skateboard, we foraged through the fridge for lunch (instead of defaulting to PB&J).

I think one of the hardest parts of homeschooling is that (I feel like...) when I'm not at the top of my game, everything suffers. Or at least I'm surrounded by the evidence of everything suffering. I don't get to leave my house behind and go to work and just make it through a day, planning to deal with home later. I am reminded with every glance that my house is winning, and of all the things I need to do to get it back in order. (didn't I just do all of that on Friday??) And the kids who make the mess...I don't get to send them away for 8 hours so that I can tackle things while they're gone. So while wandering around the house being reminded of my shortcomings as a house elf, I am being pestered by the very creatures responsible for its chaotic state. And not only are they here, they are in need of an education - that I have vowed to give them. So if I choose to tackle the house, I'm neglecting school. If I choose to do school, I'm neglecting the house. If I choose to rest, I'm neglecting everything. Some days I have the right perspective and none of this gets to me.

Other days, like today, I need some chocolate, a babysitter, a housekeeper and a school bus.

Comments

Rhoda said…
Thanks for the encouragement on homeschooling Charis!
Amy said…
Sorry Rhoda - I thought this might encourage those friends who are already in the middle of it...to know they're not alone. But, now the secret's out. Not all days are awesome. :)
Allison Murphy said…
I want to say maybe 50% are awesome:) Haha! But seriously, here was what happened to me on Monday during 'homeschooling.' Sam (our 3 year old) locked me in the laundry room (I have to believe not purposely) while Emma, in an attempt to forge ahead on the science experiment I had asked her to hold off on until I was done switching the laundry, by mistake lit a paper towel on fire. Meanwhile I am LOCKED IN THE LAUNDRY ROOM!! Luckily no harm came to us, they let me out pretty quickly and the paper towel fire had fizzled out. However, many kids were punished that morning!! Well, hope that makes you feel better :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?