Discontent, or, Sometimes I Just Need to Write it Out

Here is a question I've been asking myself this week:

If I am not content with my life - is it because God is asking me to move, or because I am asking Him to move? 

This question came up as I was studying Isaiah this week, and it comes at a time when I am not particularly discontent. This gives me cause for alarm, because usually when something is playing on a loop in my head, I am given the opportunity to apply it in the not-too-distant future. 

So I am asking a few follow up questions. Since the life of a Jesus follower is not generally marked by "contentedness," would the inverse also apply? If I AM content with my life (which I am, thankyouverymuch)- is it because I am where God wants me to be, or is it because I am NOT where God wants me to be?

Does God even desire contentedness? I know he's not especially concerned with things like "comfort zones" or "safe places," as he is always calling people out of the boats and whatnot. So doesn't he actually encourage restlessness; a stirring inside that wants something more? If our restlessness or discontent draws us closer to him, if it causes us to want more of the Kingdom, then isn't "spiritual discontent" a good thing?

Let's just assume, then, that spiritual discontent - which I will define here as a "desire for a physical manifestation of heaven on earth"-is a good thing. A God thing. And let's say that the lack of that discontent means that God would like for me to be somewhere else. So if that's true, then to be obedient, I need to pick up and leave a place where I am physically and emotionally content (but spiritually apathetic) in favor of a life that has the potential to be physically and emotionally exhausting yet marked by a voracious, but healthy, spiritual discontent.

Sounds kind of upside-down - which is how I know it must be true.

Comments

Wow.

[Side note: I literally said to myself when I saw your post, "ooooh, yay! Amy wrote a post!" :) ]

This is some complicated deep thinking. As in, I need to think more about it, because it's hard to figure out. I like that. (Or do I? Because if I get through my thinking and realize God would have me do something else right now...Hmmm....)
Amy said…
Mary, thank you for your faithful bloggy friendship!

I kind of feel the same way about this post. There are so many variables and special circumstances and other things that would change the assumptions.

But I do believe (and have believed for awhile) that God is wanting more from me, and mysteriously as the time approaches for us to make a move that would put us in a place to be used more effectively for the Kingdom, I find myself extremely comfortable in the place that has frustrated me for the last 7 years.
Marilyn Mason said…
Amy, I get so much out of your blogs. I am so glad you and Christy introduced us and you are also my friend as well as hers!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?