Alabama Broccoli Casserole

I needed a dish to bring to a meal where "comfort food" was being served. It was our second attempt at a dinner with friends - a reschedule that took more than 2 months to work out.

We'd decided to repeat the menu: macaroni and cheese and broccoli casserole. Two months ago, they would've been great "late winter" foods. Last week, they were great "braces foods."

We were responsible for the broccoli casserole, which I'd made before by sort of blindly reaching for cans of soup and boxes of crackers in my pantry. This time, with time on my hands and a blog series in mind, I opted to look for a recipe.

But where on the shelf to begin?

I figured that no one knows how to fatten up a vegetable like the South. And since about half of my cookbooks are from south of the Mason-Dixon line, I knew I'd have a few choices. I landed on one that was on a page between Braised Collard Greens and Broccoli Cauliflower Au Gratin. It was bound to be good.

The Book:
"Favorites from our Table, by The Whosoevers of Eastminster Presbyterian Church" in Birmingham, Alabama.

Why I Have It:
My roots in Alabama run deeper than the Civil War, and as long as I can remember, my Birmingham family have been members of Eastminster Presbyterian Church. It may seem weird to know what church your out-of-town extended family attends, but 1) we are a relatively close and well-connected extended family and 2) having grown up at WESTminster Academy, I always thought it was amusing that there was an EASTminster. What's a minster? And how do they come to be geographically divided? I should look that up. Anyway, a cousin who comes to stay several times a year brought all of us a copy of this handy volume which overflows with Southern favorites that real people actually make and serve to their families.

Why it's Special:
First of all, I love that the name they came up with was "The Whosoevers." I can hear my great-aunt, Sissy, saying it. I can hear my grandmother sharing the news - that Sissy's church ladies call themselves "the who-so-ev-ers." She would probably write it in the air with her hand. Some of the syllables would be stretched out, because she's from Alabama and that's what you do.
Secondly, I love my Alabama family. I love the memories that I have of Sissy and Papa making it to our wedding and dancing together, of visiting their home and snapping green beans from Papa's garden as a kid. I love that I am in touch with almost all of my second- and third-cousins, that being connected by a grandparent or great-grandparent means that no matter how our geography or accents or stature (in spite of Papa's height, they are all tiny people...) differ, we are family. I am related to the Whosoevers of Eastminster Presbyterian Church, and that makes me happy.

The Recipe:
Broccoli Casserole
2 (10 oz) pkg. Frozen Chopped Broccoli, cooked & drained
3/4 c. Mayo
1 c. Grated sharp cheese
1 *(10 3/4-oz.) can Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
2 c. Crushed Crackers (I used Ritz)
2 T. melted butter (I needed 4 T.)

In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, mayonnaise, cheese, soup and eggs. Mix well. Place mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish which has been sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Top with crushed crackers and pour melted butter evenly over the crackers. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until set and browned.

**Thanks to Joanne West of Eastminster Presbyterian Church. I don't know you, but your casserole was delicious.**

Comments

How fun!! My great aunt and uncle lived in Birmingham. We went there to visit MANY years ago, and I'm sure collard greens were served. :)
Erica said…
My aunt started making this for holiday dinners years ago. One year, she wasn't going to be able to make it. To me, the idea of no broccoli casserole was UNBEARABLE. I learned to make it then, and now I make it all the time.
Am+a said…
Mmm! I have made a recipe like this several times. Since my MIL can't eat broccoli, I substitute cauliflower sometimes. I also use half mayo & half miracle whip light for some additional tanginess (is that a word?).

I look forward to seeing more in this series.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?