For the Sake of Putting Pen to Paper

We're going to see Don Miller tonight. I'm pretty excited about that. I'm looking forward to putting a face and a voice to the words that have spoken so clearly to me over the last few years. I'm thinking about the prospect of meeting him, probably having him autograph something (else) for us, and my stomach actually fills with butterflies at the thought of my one chance to say something grateful and not ridiculous. He's kind of a hero of mine, and I don't want to have an "I carried a watermelon" moment. You may know that I've built up a pretty good immunity to celebrities - there are a scant few that would get a second look from me, and even fewer that would get the butterflies flapping. To discover this morning that Don was one of them was a little surprising.

I'm also looking forward to going to Rocketown for the first time.

But mostly, I'm looking forward to going back to bed when we get home.

I think I'm writing today because I'm going to see Don Miller tonight. Because if I ever start writing books, I want them to be books like Don Miller's books. So today, I am inspired to write, like how you floss diligently the night before a dentist appointment.

Back to that part about going to bed. We have had such a wonderfully crazy couple of months and I feel like our time is now careening ahead, full speed toward May 7.

Since late March, we have had 4 house guests at different times, visited with 6 other visiting family members at different times, we have been to Disney and Gainesville, had Spring Break and Easter, family birthday parties, school events and all of the other things that we do on a regular basis.

And there's this. I have been on the committee running the First Priority Auction for several years now, but this year, with our numbers depleted due to a baby boom among the staff and committee, I was tapped to lead this fabulous group of ladies. We're in great shape, everything is going wonderfully, and it's been a lot of fun, but after May 7, I get to stop thinking about it. Hey, if you're local, you should come. It's a very, very fun night.

But for now, Chloe and I will finish watching the Berenstain Bears, hit the pool with her cousin, pick Eden up from school and head to her piano lesson. And all day, I will subconsciously try to formulate the perfect non-pithy comment for Don. Maybe I'll just give him a big hug and call it a night.

Comments

Melanie said…
So, did you have a "I carried a watermelon" moment? How was your encounter with DM? I'm glad to see the pen to the paper; I enjoy your blog!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?

Block the Door