Gimme a V!

When asked how someone could pray for me this week, I asked for victory. I just wanted to see some victory, somewhere.

I was feeling a little defeated. A little beat up.

I'd had a rejection or two in Auction World. Some frustrations with the kids. Some disappointing results on the scale and with the measuring tape.

But sitting in spin class this morning, I was convicted. I was convicted because I was sitting in spin class, at 6 a.m. That was a victory over my sheets and snooze button. And I finished the spin class strong. That was a victory over my pounding heart and burning leg muscles. I caught a glimpse in the mirror and noticed that I was wearing tight-ish yoga pants and a clingy tank top. That was a victory over insecurity.

I came home to two sweet kids and a wonderful husband who were feeding themselves breakfast with lunch already made. Victory over martyrdom. I swept the floor. Victory over crumbs and that feeling that I get when I step on them barefoot. I showered, a long, hot shower and dressed in clean clothes. Victory over poverty. My arm slid nicely into my jacket sleeve, no stuffing or pulling required. Victory over my hot dog-into-drinking straw clothing complex.

My child didn't stop talking for 45 minutes, straight. Victory over ... um... laryngitis. We drove to Bible Study. Victory over car trouble and snowbirds on the roads. Enjoyed time discussing Scripture with beautiful ladies. Victory over loneliness, victory over stagnancy. Had lunch with my grandmother. Victory over those things that drag families apart, victory over bad genes (she's 87), victory over turkey sandwiches at home.

Learned to use auction website. Victory over technology. Kids read quietly. Victory over noise. Got excited about auction website. Victory over anxiety. Had dinner with good friends. Victory over those things that drag good friends apart. Had a salad. Victory over french fries, burgers and wings.

Baked a cookie cake, unloaded the dishwasher, prepped cookie dough for tomorrow. Victory over television. Organized auction meeting in time to make necessary copies. Victory over the last minute.

So I revised my prayer request. May I always focus on the victories, for they are many.

Comments

Brad Jones said…
Really encouraging.

Here's mine:
I read, "victory over my hotdog-into-drinking straw clothing complex" and almost shot milk out of my nose.

Victory over not shooting milk out my nose.

Keep it up.
Mom said…
Great post, Amy! I will pray for focus on the victories for all of us!
Amy said…
Thanks! Both of you! (Victory over being too wordy in my return comments)
Melanie said…
FYI...I remembered this post as I was about to grumble to my husband about an outting I had with the kids. I realized that I focused too much on the small handful of negative things that happens rather than the extensive positive ones. I started feeling much better about the little victories rather than the discouragements. This was an inspiring post for me. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?