Something Bigger

If there is any area in which I want to succeed, I must make it a part of my spiritual life.

I cannot be a good wife, a good mother, sister, daughter, granddaughter, friend, teacher, volunteer, or Temple Janitor without acknowledging that I am, ultimately, not writing this story. At the hand of my own pen, I would be one of the most boring, despicable failures imaginable. Only surrendered to Another am I capable of greatness, of being a memorable character in this epic tale.

So if I am to succeed at this weight loss thing, if I am to create a healthier Temple, I am going to have to be motivated by Something Bigger than guilt.

Enter my Pastor with the timely reminder.

I opened my Bible to Luke 4 to follow along as Pastor covered Jesus' temptation in the wilderness. I smiled to myself as I saw God winking at me from the page. Jesus hadn't eaten for 40 days. Jesus was hungry.

Pastor went on to talk about temptation, give some strategies for dealing with it, etc., and I went exploring. I'd realized (again) that Jesus answered the accuser with scripture. At his hungriest and most vulnerable, Jesus was in tune enough to spout off some verses to help Him remain strong. This is a good idea, I thought. I will find some scriptures to memorize.

And as I explored, God delivered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?