The Numbers

I did learn a few things from my experiences as a Weight Watchers frequent drop out.

For example, I learned to call this process "getting rid of weight," rather than "losing it." Because, you know, you don't want to find it again.

I also learned to set manageable goals, to start easy and achievable. "This week, I will drink 8 glasses of water a day..." or "I will write down everything I eat..." The first goal that Weight Watchers thrusts upon everyone who walks in the door is to get to 10%. Forget the target goal weight for now, just focus on getting rid of 10% of your body weight.

Usually, 10% is very close to my goal weight anyway. If I lose 10% of my weight, I will be hovering about 6 pounds over my "ideal weight."

Ten percent will have me just outside the healthy BMI for my height. I cannot tell you how frustrating that is. Four years ago, during a period of intense stress, I found myself at my thinnest since high school, feeling great about my body and still, precariously near the top of the "healthy range." I could not imagine getting myself any smaller than I was at that point, and yet...the wall hanging at the doctor's office was telling me I was bordering overweight.

I don't know who came up with the BMI, but I'm pretty sure they didn't have my body type in mind. However, I will play their little game and aim for the middle of their "healthy weight range." But that will be the fight after the 10%. I will probably have to become a master Yogi or marathon runner or something to maintain residence in the middle of the mysterious and demanding BMI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some little victories in the last few days:
  • Turned down Publix cupcake, Publix icing, chocolate birthday cake and a piece of chocolate in one night. Actually picked up the chocolate and then put it back down.
  • Brought my own cereal, milk and a banana for breakfast and didn't eat the donuts, cinnamon rolls or sausage rolls. Had one munchkin instead of several.
  • 30-45 minutes of intense cardio 3 of the last 5 days.
  • Consumed a considerable amount of water
  • Logged almost everything on sparkpeople.com
  • Blogged 3 times! Told a lot of people my plan!

Comments

Sandi said…
You are doing GREAT!! I think that working out is the key - although after being home for 10 days, combined with losing my mom, vectored in with Christmas and a New Year's crescendo, I'm pretty sure I'll have to be clean as a whistle for a solid MONTH just to get back to where I started.
GO AMY
Autumn said…
Well, I'm glad to follow you whenever you write! You are a great writer, and enjoyable to read. We all struggle in one way or another...and if we can encourage each other this way, well, then that's a good thing.
Yeah, I don't know about that BMI business. When I reach my goal weight, I will be just barely within the range according to both WW and the BMI chart. But I will be so much healthier than I am today!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?