Excuse #5: No, really, for me, it's reaaaally hard

Once upon a time, I was an athlete. This means that my body still thinks we are athletic. Hidden inside this sometimes-fluffy shell is the core of a hardened athlete. Really.

I once was a 3-sport athlete, sweating through two-a-days and chasing fly balls and running endless suicides. And though those days are far behind me, my body remembers them well. So well that it laughs at the standard "30 minutes a day." Low- or Medium-impact workouts? Worthless. Nope. My body is a workout snob.

My heart rate only elevates if I am running as if being chased or doing lunges while carrying a small person. As if protecting itself for what must be coming, my body keeps its cool.

This brings us to excuse #5: No, really, for me, it's reaaaally hard.

My body is not going to spring back into shape with a 30-minute walk a day (unless maybe I'm walking straight uphill at 4.5 miles an hour). It is going to take serious time, sweat and commitment. That's what it wants, so that's what I'm trying to give it.

But I'd like to at least partially erase its memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?