Excuse #4: A Misspent Life

Before my oldest was born, I was a teacher's assistant in a preschool. Morning after morning, I would welcome an assortment of precious children out of the arms of tennis-skirt-clad moms. Or moms in yoga pants, back when you only wore yoga pants if you were going to yoga.

And I would wonder - why are these mothers leaving their children in my care, every day, just so they can play tennis or go to the gym?

Of course, that was before I had children and understood that sometimes, placing my children in the care of others is an emotional necessity. But, still. These women provided the evidence that I needed to formulate irrational Excuse #4: Really fit bodies are evidence of a misspent life.

See, statistically, really fit people spend a lot of time exercising. (Imagine that!) A LOT. And when they're not exercising, they're talking about exercising. Or planning their next exercise. And if their entire thought life and all waking hours are spent exercising, well, then, think about all of the things they're not doing. Like spending time with their kids. Or helping widows and orphans. Or rescuing sea turtles. I mean, really - how does working on my BMI do anything to address injustice or poverty?

And did I really want people to think of me that way? As someone whose physical appearance was an all-consuming part of life?

Moderation.

As it turns out, I can add fitness to my schedule without allowing it to consume me. I can exercise and still spend time with my kids. I can exercise and still volunteer for causes I care about. In fact, I have more energy for those things now. And I can exercise and talk about things other than exercise. (she says, having devoted a month of blog space to exercise and fitness.)

Comments

The more energy thing is a big one to me. I've noticed it after just a couple weeks of working out!
Amy said…
I know! It doesn't seem like it should work that way, and I don't know why I always forget that benefit when I'm struggling. I will say that I crash harder at night when I've fit in a good workout.
Missy said…
Amy,
I am lurking on your blog...love it because you and i have a similar writing voice and it makes me laugh especially hard. Thought I would drop you a little note of encouragement on the exercise bit: you can do it! I have a little trick for making exercise part of your life, no excuses. You are not going to like it!

Set an alarm. I set mine for 5:30 am. I have a 20 month old and a 1 month old, and the only way for me to avoid the excuses that begin the moment that one of them opens their eyes, is to do it everyday in the dark. I have actually done it this way for YEARS, even before kids. You will get addicted to it. It sucks for the first few weeks, but you will actually find yourself looking forward to it.
I found an old used treadmill and a bevy of awesome pilates tapes, and I am showered and done with my 45 minute workout by the time i sit down with my coffee. How good that feels outweighs how much it sucks getting up that early.

:)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?