The Delivery

God delivered.

Not only several scriptures to remember when I want to cheat - which I plan to share in the coming weeks - but also some pretty evident truths and applications.

For example, I tend to silently judge people who are obsessed with their weight. But I am obsessed with my weight. Being a little overweight is part of who I am, it's a part of who I've always been. I've seen Jillian yell at the Biggest Loser contestants about hiding under their weight - and I understand that. Maybe not for the same reasons, but I get it. What if I lose the weight and then I have to work at maintaining it - what then? What if I lose the weight and then I have nothing to pity myself over - how will I get my affirmation then? Obviously, missing from those thought processes is the One Who Delivers.

Why do I not believe that God will help me maintain a healthy body weight? And why do I choose to rely on other people telling me I'm "not fat," rather than just not being fat? Am I so insecure, so faithless that I would rather carry 20 pounds around than discover other, truer ways to be affirmed?

So there's that.

Another struggle I face when approaching weight loss from a spiritual perspective is the balance between freedom and rigidity. i.e., If God made it and it's good, shouldn't I be allowed to enjoy it? To its fullness? I think that's in there somewhere...right?

Of course, the balance here is moderation. Jesus said that we may have life to its fullest, not that we should eat 'til we're fullest. God started teaching us this lesson in the desert when he fed the Israelites quail and manna and instructed them to take only what they needed for one day. Here was this bounty, delivered straight from heaven, and they were told to exercise portion control. Or face the maggots.

Maybe if maggots were involved, I would be better at portion control, too.

But that's not my story. My story is one where God gets to show off - not by sending manna from heaven - but by being glorified in every choice I make that shows my belief that He WILL provide a meal tomorrow. I don't have to eat 3 days worth of food today just in case He doesn't.

Comments

Life is all about moderation huh? And I think it's human nature to be "out of control" in one area or another. If we take what we need for each day we will live a free life!
Amy said…
Beth, thanks so much for reading and commenting! Yes, we all have our indulgences and this could absolutely apply to any area of life - finances, relationships, etc... it's a lesson I've learned before and I'm sure I'll learn it again, but I'm very thankful for it right now!
Am+a said…
So glad I read this post BEFORE my hubby takes me out for dinner tonight. :-) I also registered at SparkPeople after reading your previous posts. username: alatona Keep up the healthy eating and the encouraging blot posts!!
Amy said…
Yay, Amanda! I think that means we can be friends on SparkPeople - haven't figured that out entirely. Have a great date night!!
Autumn said…
*like* We should have a "like" button for blog posting...:0)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?