Choosing a Goal

I have always said that I have no desire to run a marathon. It's just not something that I have cared to add to my list of accomplishments. I really can't think of anything that sounds less fun than that. Except, maybe, for a triathlon.

But now, at the suggestion of at least three people, I have been challenged to set a goal beyond "just getting in shape" or "losing weight." It seems that selecting some type of event that involves some type of training is a recommended form of built-in accountability. That makes sense. And, since it is a suggestion, I will do it.

And so I am faced with a decision. What's it going to be?

Previously, my goals have been things like "fit into the clothes in the back of the closet," or "buy a new swimsuit and enjoy wearing it." I'll keep those goals - there's a red dress back there and a suit buried in one of my drawers - but I like the idea of pushing myself toward something.

But...a marathon? Ick. I'm starting to be able to stomach the idea of a half-marathon, and if I plan it well, I can get a trip out of it. Seriously, it looks like I could pick any city that I'm interested in and run 13.1 miles through it.

I've always wanted to do the Amazing Race, but that one involves being away from the family for 2 months.

So, I guess I'm saying, I'm taking reasonable suggestions here. Any ideas?

Comments

Loren Eaton said…
I see fencing in your future. En garde!
Amy said…
Loren, that sounds like great fun. And an opportunity to add to my vocabulary!
Anonymous said…
I've never been excited about the idea of running marathons either. I'd rather play sports or go walking. I remember being told to set specific, measurable and attainable goals. I've never been super specific, but I like goals like working out 3 times a week and eating only one sweet a day. If you cut sweets out you're going to really crave them and binge when you do eat them. I always liked writing down in my calendar when I exercised - biked, lifted weights, walked, etc. It helped me see the bigger picture of being more active instead of being discouraged for missing a day. I'd circle them, so they'd stand out and I could see over a month how well I'd done. It's also good to realize you're body can change shape (hence get in shape), but you might not be losing weight. It can be fun to take you're measurements biceps, chest, waist, hips, and thighs and watch them change. Just measure them every 8wks and don't weigh yourself everyday . . . once a month is enough. And maybe a reward for reaching your goal could be a massage, manicure, or some money for some new clothes. Hope that gives you some ideas:) - Jenny Antweiler Kunz
missy said…
Read my other suggestions about building a fitness schedule...but my advice for you for the marathon is this:

disney princess marathon.

take the kids. have them make signs and dress up like princesses and cheer for their mommy proudly from the sidelines with daddy in the middle of disney world. then spend the weekend celebrating your achievement.

its the first weekend in march. you can start training today and be reasonably ready!

my sis does this every year and she loves it. i blew my knee distance running, so my long-running days are over, but this is what i would do.

:)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?