The Idea


"What if you blogged about your weight loss, Ame?" he said, like always, doing his best to support his fluctuating and frustrated wife. "I mean, blogging seems to help you organize your thoughts and you're good at it, and..."

I saw where he was going. I didn't like it.

Bravely ignoring my scowl, he continued. "It might provide that extra accountability you say you need. You know, apart from me."

Agh! He said it. Kill switch: Engage.

"Nope. I don't need accountability. If I'm going to do this, it has to come from me," I snapped.

"Well, but, you like to wri-"

"I know I like to write. But who wants to read about what I did and didn't eat today or whether or not I exercised? I'll lose my entire readership!" Snapping again. But I knew that one wouldn't fly. I don't have a readership.

That was sometime last year. The idea of blogging my way through weight loss sounded a little like letting the public read my journal. And THAT idea is so horrifying to me that I go to extremes to prevent it by not even keeping a journal. So no way, mister, was I going to put my struggle on the interweb for all of my middle school nemeses to find.

But then, while on the treadmill earlier this week, I had a brilliant idea.

"What if I blogged my way through weight loss?"

Intuitive readers now know two things about me that maybe they didn't know before:

1. I am ridiculously insecure, likely because I was relentlessly taunted in middle school.

2. Anyone submitting an idea for my approval must begin the process approximately one year before its expected commencement. It will take about that long for the idea to cycle back through as one of my own.

And so, here I am. Blogging my way through weight loss. Hopefully, at the end of this little "series," I will be blogging my way through "maintenance."

I hope you'll be patient with me, or maybe even join me. Weight loss, for me, encompasses more than just getting rid of a few pounds, so some of my posts may sound a little like therapy. Feel free to hold me *ahem* accountable. That's the idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's The Skinny:
Today's Date: December 31, 2009
Target Date: February 25, 2010
Target Loss: 10% of Body Weight

Comments

carin said…
You go girl!!! I know you can do it!!! A little tip....when you want to eat a snack you know you shouldn't eat or if you find yourself eating "just to eat" try and drink a full glass of water. It really does help curb your appetite!! I use that trick a lot :o)
Mom said…
I will join you and do my best not to sabotage your efforts!
Amy said…
Thanks, ladies! Carin, I'm getting better about the water - as long as I make a big cup in the morning, I will drink it all day long! Otherwise, I forget.
Amy, this is awesome. I, for one, can't wait to read along!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?

Block the Door