In The Eye

In the last few weeks, 3 friends have had their first babies. Two others are closing on their first house tomorrow. Two more are marrying each other in a few weeks. One made it through major surgery today.

One close friend started a new job this week. One close friend has been fighting to keep her job for two weeks. A third lost her job this week.

Two more are pregnant, and, closest of all, my sister is within weeks of being matched with her daughter from China.

But me? Well, today I trimmed Chloe's hair and sold stuff for Eden's school fundraiser. (need anything? if she sells 300 items we get a Wii.)

Clearly, this is not my season of major life change - but I can't help feeling like God has me in the eye of the storm for a reason. Not experiencing the tormenting winds and driving rains, but in the eye, where everything is still, but swirling madly all around.

I could see it as an opportunity to serve, but with the exception of providing a meal or two, I'm really feeling powerless.

I could see it as an opportunity to rest, be grateful and be content with stability and health.

I could relish the chance to live vicariously, facing change alongside them but without personal sacrifice. There's nothing like giving a crying infant back to his mommy, right?

No matter how I choose to look at it, I'd better keep my raincoat handy, since the calm surely won't last forever.

Comments

Loren Eaton said…
Enjoy it. You're getting sleep.
Am+a said…
It sounds like you're in a position to "rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who mourn". That too is a ministry, along with providing meals for friends and, of course, praying for them.

May you enjoy the "eye" for now and share peace with others around you.
What an interesting perspective. Good for you for noticing and reflecting. I might have - no, I HAVE - just let it all pass by.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?