The results are in!

Friday was a pretty incredible day in the hangar.

And a pretty incredible day in the body of Christ, too.

It started a few minutes before 9, when I arrived at the facility to find the rental company already unloading the tables and chairs. All of them. A perfectly completed order - or at least, exactly what we needed.

Then a group of 10 (or so) guys showed up and started manhandling 8 foot tables - setting them in place as we requested, then moving them as we requested, all the while saying please and thank you and smiling and stuff.

There was another group of ladies who couldn't work hard enough...lugging item after item out of our storage office and into the hangar...then putting them in order...making them look pretty... just generally being amazing.

At some point, I became aware of the sound guys who were capably setting up - needing nothing from anyone, just doing their thing - and doing more than we expected.

In the lobby, my precious Mandi stared at her computer all day - masterfully organizing and graciously receiving last minute donations, registrations and various other requests. Her volunteers finished the gluing, pasting, stuffing and labeling required for a well-run event.

Back in the hangar, the decorating committee arrived. With masterpieces. They cheerfully decorated 30 tables, having schlepped all over town for weeks collecting vintage suitcases to turn into amazing centerpieces. Amazing.

By 3 o'clock, setup was complete. We actually had time for finishing touches. The caterers arrived shortly after that, again, not needing anything - just working, working, working.

Never before have I been a part of an event that ran so smoothly. (and I have been a part of a lot of events) No ego. No crises. No visible stress - though I'm sure we all felt a bit. This was God doing what He does best - using people to do His thing. It was the Body of Christ, being the Body of Christ. We were different people, of different churches, of different ages, using different gifts to work toward the same goal, and it was pretty incredible.

Oh, and we raised 35% more than last year. Because that's what God can do.

Comments

cool mum said…
Wow--congrats! Now what is the deal with the hangar? Maybe I missed something here. How about some pictures!
Amy said…
I wish I had pictures! I'm hoping to see some soon! I'll post them if I can get my hands on them.

The event was in an airplane hangar - the most beautiful airplane hangar anywhere, I think.
Amy, that's great!! I'm so happy for you!

I've been a part of lot of events, too - and they never run as smoothly as yours. You're so right - the Body of Christ working as the Body of Christ is beautiful!
Hey there. I hope you are having a GREAT summer so far. I just thought I'd pop over here and say that I miss hearing from/reading you! :) Have a good Monday!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?

Block the Door