Update: School

There's a certain time of day when the sun's rays enter our family room at just the right angle. When the floors and counter tops are clear, the light bounces around a little and gently warms the room and it feels like summer. I love summer.

Today, that time of day was early, while Eden was still in school, and my heart felt a little sad - just a little - that she couldn't be home to walk through the family room and feel summery with me. The thought crossed my mind that, if we home schooled, every day could feel like summer. The girls could play outside in their own backyard in the middle of the day whenever they wanted - not just for 10 oppressively hot but miserably short weeks in the middle of the year.

This morning was the volunteer appreciation breakfast at Eden's school. I didn't know what to expect other than "tons of food," and that only because I'd been given a heads-up by some teachers the day before. What I encountered was one of the sweetest little events I've ever attended. Yes, there was a lot of food - all of it provided by these overworked and underpaid teachers. Someone took a LOT of time to decorate the media center - sweetly set tables with centerpieces made by students. Balloons. The breakfast spread was painstakingly displayed - Egg casseroles. Beautiful fruit bowl. Donuts arranged on trays, no boxes, not a hint of smudged icing, no stacking. The principal spoke. The volunteer coordinator spoke. The mayor spoke. The chorus sang. The poetry club read a poem. Seriously, the only difference between this and any of the dozens of similar Christian school events I've attended is that they didn't open in prayer. Well, and the part about the mayor.

So there's the struggle. As happy as we are and have been with this school choice, there's a part of me that wants my kids home, where I can watch them be kids all day long. But I think I've maybe just been dwelling too much on the "you're gonna miss this" idea. (as I try to shoo them outside to play and they protest...)

Comments

Brenda said…
I just saw your comment on Mary's blog about how sick you've been. Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear that and I'm praying for you. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Block the Door

It's Time to Stop the Bleeding: A Manifesto on Friendship