Unemployed

About 8 years ago, I picked up my first piano students. I was employed full time, but one night a week I snuck out a few minutes early and took my bag of tricks to a beautiful home where two sweet little girls were waiting for me. It was my first taste of teaching, and even though I had no idea what I was doing, I kind of liked it.

It was also my first introduction to East South Florida kids in the 21st century. Well mannered, respectful, privileged...but over-committed, highly ambitious and stressed out.

Before long I had two more students, and then two more...until my studio grew to 20. Now only officially employed part time, I had time to devote to planning - games, competitions, recitals. We were active, and the kids, over-committed though they were, were energetic and making progress.

When Chloe was born, I let most of my kids go. I worked my way down to one afternoon a week, with four of my original students. I've written before about this arrangement and about how much I love these girls, all of whom are beautiful middle school girls growing into very special young ladies.

But beautiful middle school girls have other things on their minds than piano, and this week, the other things finally won. All four of them decided to "take a break" for a few months. And while I'm sure right now they really are planning to come back some time, I know the reality is more likely this: I have given them all I can give them, and it's time for us all to move on.

So while they move on to soccer greatness and school play stardom, I move on to the unemployment line. This is the first time in almost 9 years that I haven't provided at least some income to my family, and I can't say that the timing isn't just really interesting. It's that kind of thing God does- Right when we hit a point where we're feel like we're actually relying on that small income to supplement some things...He takes it away. But the cool thing is that when He does pull tricks like this, it's usually because He's planning to do something amazing. So, here's to preparing for rain.

Comments

Am+a said…
Amy,

It's a tough chapter to close, but having seen your posts on this subject over the past 6 months or so, it appears that your work with these particular students was getting very frustrating.

I'm sure the Lord DOES have something wonderful in store for you; have you thought about starting over with some true beginners?

Even if you leave the piano teacher part of yourself on the shelf for a while, you can always bring her back later. :-)

Condolences & Congratulations to you... please take whichever one suits your mood, for there is certainly room for both.

Amanda Latona
Anonymous said…
I think this may be my favorite post, ever. It's just so real, in a billion ways, and I am reminded of why we all make such great friends... we think alike. Yes, I agree that God is getting ready to do something amazing. I dont want to preach here though, just tell you that I dig your writing... especially here, and I dig your heart... it's vibrant and wonderful... and I dig your friendship. (And I dig your husband too...!) Thanks for sharing your lives with us, and here is to the next step, whatever it is, it will be wonderful.

-Mocha
Amy, I'm sorry to hear that your lessons with those four girls are coming to an end. If I heard your heart correctly in previous posts, you truly loved them and enjoyed the time you had with them. It sounds like you have the right perspective on this and are looking forward to what God has planned. I'll pray for you and Matt to seek and find God's direction and provision. It's always so amazing (and not a little exciting) to see what He can do in these types of situations!
You never know where God will lead you. I never expected to live outside of Atlanta and here I am in Albany. Big things are coming! I can hardly wait to see what!
Am+a said…
Jack and Lexi's Mom,

Would you happen to be in Albany GA? Because that's where I am! Please email me at amandalatona99@yahoo.com I always like to connect with new people around town.

Sorry, Amy, for being quite off-topic! :-)
Amy said…
Thank you all so much for your encouragement! I've had a lot of emotions to sort through over the last few days, but the end result is pretty freeing. More on that later!

Amanda, meet Jennifer. Jennifer...Amanda! I was going to make that connection for you, but Amanda beat me to it!
Am+a said…
Why thank you, Amy! :-)

Hey, if you lived in Albany, GA, you'd probably be looking for new friends too. It's a nice place, but many people here are originally from here, and their "social circle" is already pretty complete, with family, extended family, childhood friends... not much time for new relationships. The few good friends I've made here are "transplants" like myself. It's so weird that way! I understand it's kind of a small-town phenomenon.

Anyway, thank you for the introduction, and I hope you'll count it as one good by-product of unemployment, or at least of your thoughts on the subject. ;-)
Cool Dad said…
i'm excited about what God's going to do! little setbacks like this often result in huge leaps forward.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?

Block the Door