One Ticket to Mitford, Please

Years ago, I met a man named Tim. Tim is an Episcopal priest who, at the time we met, had been assigned to a tiny parish in a North Carolina mountain town. Through Tim, I was introduced to a host of interesting and precious people...

None of whom, much to my great dismay, are real.

I've talked before about my aversion to series reading, how I can handle two or three in a row before tiring of the material/the characters/the setting/the plot similarity. Father Tim et. al. are the exception. Jan Karon's Mitford novels are soul satisfying and full of goodness - like Hallmark movies but funny and quirky. Like Little House on the Prairie, with a little more current oomph. Father Tim's well read character meets my needs for intellectual challenge, and his cast of wacky locals and parishioners fills my craving for whimsy. To me, opening a Mitford book is like stepping into the Florida sunshine or that peaceful feeling that sweeps over me when I know a good friend is standing nearby.

So, how delighted was I to find that Father Tim was back! Home to Holly Springs follows Father Tim Kavanagh back to his Mississippi roots, as he heads home for the first time in 38 years. I can't say that it's a great novel if you're not already connected to Tim, but I know I enjoyed it because reaching the last page made me sad.

For me, a highlight of Jan Karon's work is her ability to pepper Father Tim's dialogue with inspirational quotes, with poetry, with spiritual significance and with some hefty theology. So pick up a Mitford book. Start at the beginning.

But before you go, I want to share a couple of the gems from Home to Holly Springs with you.

A quote from Samuel Rutherford:
"Whenever I find myself in the cellar of affliction, I always look about for the wine."

From Elizabeth Goudge:
"She had long accepted the fact that happiness is like swallows in spring. It may come and nest under your eaves or it may not. You cannot command it. When you expect to be happy, you are not, and when you don't expect to be happy, there is suddenly Easter in your soul, though it be midwinter."

Comments

Autumn said…
Good Review...I've seen the series at the store, but have had interest in other things...but maybe I'll pick one up and see what Mitford is all about.
Amy said…
Yes! Do it! Start at the beginning. And get it at the library. :)
Loren Eaton said…
"Whenever I find myself in the cellar of affliction, I always look about for the wine."

Gold.
I've never read this series, but I think my mom likes them. I have always heard good things about Jan Karon's books...guess I'd better put them on my list!
Am+a said…
I "read" the first few Mitford books on CD. I checked the CD-books out from the library and listened to them while cruising around in my car. The gentleman who read it on the CD was FABULOUS; lots of inflection, unique voices for each character... I highly recommend it. I need to read some more of them the old-fashioned way, though. :-)
I love Father Tim! I wish he were around when I need to tell someone a good joke!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?

Block the Door