Remodeling

More than 20 years ago, my grandmother built a doll house for me. I remember the weeks of time that she and my grandfather spent on it. I remember her painting the house blue, and then changing her mind and painting the house pink. I remember her meticulous handling of miniatures, how she created little picture frames and rugs and houseplants out of things she had in her sewing basket. I remember how proud she was of her work. And it was beautiful work.

The house lived with me for many years and saw hours of play. It would be decorated for different holidays, serve as a hideout for my brother's GI Joe guys, and spent ample time as a clothes hanger.

For the last 10 years or so, the house has been rotting in my parents' garage. Pieces broken off, inhabited by small creatures of various kinds, covered in dust, but still occupying enough space in my heart to keep me standing between my memories and the dumpster.

Possessed by I don't know what, I have declared this year The Christmas of the Dollhouse. We snuck it out of mom & dad's and into our garage where it's undergoing an extreme home makeover of miniature proportions. At first it was daunting, mainly because I have a serious aversion to dust. And grime. But mom helped me give it a good cleaning and it started to come to life. With another good cleaning it was practically smiling. Some glue, new paint and a few loving repairs and it seems to be renovating itself. The best part: The girls have no idea.



Here's the house after being cleaned but before being attended to. The porch railings are missing, the white trim is more off-white than white.



Here's the interior. You can see it's missing a roof panel on the top right and some baseboards in the lower right hand living room. But isn't it cute? Look, there's a chair rail in the dining room! And a moosehead hanging on the wall in the upstairs playroom!


Missing shingles - Matt to the rescue!



To give you an idea of the size...here we are.

Comments

I love it! What a talented grandmother you had! When can we come for a playdate?
Cool! I had a friend with a dollhouse when I was a kid - I was always so amazed by not only the house itself but all the little accessories. Tiny furniture is neat!

I'm impressed that you're doing so much to renovate - it looks great so far!
Amy said…
The fun part is that I still have my talented grandmother. In fact, I have 2! Soon I will show you the tree skirt that the other grandmother inspired me to "create."

Loren, thanks. You guys will have to stop and see it on one of your walks! I bet Clara could work some serious magic in there.

Photo - You're right, the accessories are so much fun! It would be very easy to become a "collector," which is not something I aspire to.
cool mum said…
this is so great! and nice of your parents to hold on to it for so long!
Brenda said…
Oh, that is super cute! I love all the details you've pointed out. I'm always amazed at how craftsy and creative some people are. How fun. Your girls are going to love it!
Brenda said…
I forgot to mention.... that's the first time I've seen a picture of you. I hope it's not weird or creepy to say you're really cute! Just nice to finally see who Amy is. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?