The Face of Betrayal


Chloe wants a Ballet Costume for Christmas. That's all. Ask her and she'll tell you: "I want a ballet dancer costume." Or when faced with the standard "What's Santa Going to Bring You?" question, she answers: "Santa is going to bring me a ballet dancer costume."

So yesterday, her class had a Christmas party, and the man in the red suit made a surprise appearance. She stoically took it all in, sitting politely at her table with her hands folded until her name was called, when she properly took her place on his lap, formally smiled for the cameras, and returned to her seat with gift bag in hand.

The kids were asked to wait to open their gifts until every child had one in hand. Chloe clutched her bag, nervously smiling, tentatively watching the other kids visit Santa. When it was time to tear into the bag, Chloe pulled out this really cute Tinkerbell doll.

Me: "Chloe! That's so cute! How did Santa know you wanted a Tinkerbell doll?"

Chloe, very matter-of-factly: "I didn't want a Tinkerbell doll. I wanted a ballet dancer costume."
No tears, no fits, just...disbelief. Simultaneously heartbreaking and hilarious.

Comments

Loren Eaton said…
You might already have a Santa agnostic on your hands.
Amy said…
I know! It's too early! But she's been explaining to people that it was an early Christmas gift.
Brenda said…
Santa IS going to eventually be bringing that ballet dancer costume, RIGHT?
If he doesn't come through for her I will send it to her!
musingwoman said…
At least she's honest! :)
Jim Jordan said…
Yup, Santa's a fraud. I was the youngest of four kids but I was first to blow the whistle....Santa didn't exist. I was told to "keep it to myself". What power I held over my siblings! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?