An Elaborate Scheme, or, Why I was Proud of My Church Last Week

One of the most valuable, or at least memorable, pieces of information I learned in college were just four letters: ENFJ.

My coolest professor (the only one to stand on the first day of class and profess his faith) in one of my coolest classes (called "Lewis & Tolkien," but really was a survey of all the Inklings) administered the Myers-Briggs Personality Test for reasons unknown, other than his own curiosity about the kids who would choose to take his class.

I learned that semester that I am an ENFJ - with extroverted, intuitive, feeling and judging being my dominant characteristics. As interesting as it is to take the test and read someone's interpretations of your answers, it's fascinating when it's a correct diagnosis. It sure does explain a lot.

For example: I have ideas. LOTS of ideas. Better or more efficient ways to do things, crazy things to try, big fun parties or festivals to host, thoughtful discussions in which to purposefully engage. And usually, when I propose one of my more realistic ideas, someone bites, and people start falling in line. And usually, the plan works.

Here's part of a description that explains this ENFJ phenomenon:

ENFJ's are outstanding leaders of groups, both task groups and growth groups. They have the charming characteristic of seeming to take for granted that they will be followed, never doubting that people will want to do what they suggest. And, more often than not, people do, because this type has unusual charisma.

Now, I'm not used to hearing it called "unusual charisma." Maybe "bossy" or "overbearing" or "intense." I read another description somewhere that talked about how ENFJs enjoy convincing others to take part in their "elaborate schemes." Yep. That's me. It sounds like it should be followed with a sinister laugh.

So about once a year, I propose an elaborate scheme to my church, but they must not have read the ENFJ descriptions, because about once a year I am shot down (or supported by the ever faithful Brad who does what he can to represent an entire church by himself). But this year, on a last-ditch-elaborate scheme-proposing-effort, they bit. There was an initial shoot down, but it was picked right back up in a subsequent voice mail.

The scheme: Trunk or Treat. (trust me, it's elaborate for my church)

The outcome: Huge success. For two weeks prior I was pretty convinced that I'd pitched my first really non-feasible idea, when we had very few commitments from anyone and about 4 bags of candy donated, and the first person not on the church staff to say anything to me about it made a point to tell me how evil and worldly trick-or-treating is.

What a thrill it was to see the "Candy Lot" full of cars when we arrived (more than 40 cars by the end!), and some people even decorating their trunks! And there were adults in costume, and hundreds of kids and tons of candy distributed before the night was over. Everyone was smiling and laughing and participating and just having a great time - redeeming Halloween through our fellowship with one another.

Here's what was so great about it: It was a busy week, and the church could have played the "we have too much going on card." Or they could have played the "we want to stay away from the H- word" card. But they didn't. They took a chance on a new event, on a person outside the inner circle. And it was all hands on deck - with announcements in the bulletin and Pastor's car as the first stop on the kids' quest for candy.

It was kind of spontaneous (just 3 weeks notice!), and crazy and untraditional and fun-for-the-sake-of-fun for a church that doesn't specialize in that type of thing. So I was proud to be a part of them, and grateful that they allowed my ENFJness to serve them for at least a night.

How about you? Are you in touch with your personality type? Ever get to use your powers for good?

Comments

Am+a said…
So proud of you and your church!

One of my Facebook friends in Celebration posted pics from a "Trunk or Treat" she attended with her kids. Congrats on pulling off the event so quickly!

Those personality tests.... I usually come out tied between two of them, with a third one VERY close behind. I am just weird that way.
Hey, that's GREAT! I'm so glad it worked out!! Good for your church, good for you, good for the community!

Oh, my friends chelley and triple would love a Lewis & Tolkien class.

I'm an ENFJ, too. I love reading about my personality type - it reminds me that maybe I'm not weird, I'm just me.
By the way, I'm sorry so many of my comments sound like "me too! me too!"

That being said, I should warn you that being an ENFJ was already on my list of topics to be blogged about. :)
Amy said…
Photo, I read your comment and thought, "Of course she's an ENFJ too!" I look forward to your ENFJ post. :)

Amanda - on a lot of the tests I've taken I'm kind of a flat line right through the middle of all of them! I think it just means we're well-rounded people. :)
Anonymous said…
INFJ here - i'm your sinister twin :)

~Vanessa

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?