Seek the Lord in Schooling!

I have a new bloggy friend! Everyone, meet Alicia!

For this first Seek the Lord in Schooling Saturday (Alicia's idea), I am going to cheat, and post my blog that was published yesterday on Revelife. I encourage you to visit it over there, because those people are not shy with their comments. It's amazing what some people will say to a stranger they've never met and will (most likely) never come face-to-face with!

Anyway, here's the post. It's kind of a summation of the public school decision, most of which you've already heard:

The Rest of the Story

Some time ago, I was studying and I came across I Peter 2:12, which says: “Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.”


Among the pagans.


The life of the American Evangelical Christian isn’t exactly set up to “live such good lives among the pagans.” Around the pagans, maybe. In front of the pagans. Parallel to the pagans. But certainly not among.

In fact, as a practicing Evangelical, I don’t really know any pagans. I see pagans – on my way to church and Bible study. I know OF pagans. I see them on TV, they talk about them on that Christian radio station I listen to. I hear the stories about what’s going on in the public schools... But in terms of living a good life among them, I am failing. I Peter 2:12 – and its context – convicts me.


So, God sent us to public school. How do we know it was God? Well, for one thing, we were chosen. Literally. We are in a magnet school that randomly accepted 11 new students out of more than 100 applications. I’d applied so that we’d have a “backup” option if homeschool or private school didn’t work out for us. (We are NEVER chosen for anything.) Another reason: For about 8 years, God has had us directly involved with a ministry that takes the Gospel to public school campuses. To not take advantage of the opportunity to get our hands dirty in the mission field we’ve been supporting for 8 years would be, well, hypocritical. There are more, but I’m trying to keep this brief.


It is very tempting for a parent to feel like the one part of our lives we’re allowed to keep under our control is our child. We have a “responsibility” to keep them “safe” and to “bring them up in the way they should go.” Sure. But I was trying to think of Biblical examples where God asked the parents’ permission before carrying out his plan, and I came up short. Eve? Abraham? Jacob? Moses’s mother? Hannah? Mary?


What kind of Christian am I if I can’t trust God to work out His plan in the life of my family, if we are seeking to serve Him? How big do I truly believe God is if I don’t think He can protect my child in a public school – especially if all signs point to that being His plan for us?


The night before the first day of school, our family was reading some books together. One of the books said something silly about a snowman living in the heart of every child. The amazing 5-year-old that I have on loan from God said, “What? Snowman in your heart? No mom, Jesus in your heart.”


I don’t know what God has in store for our future, but I know that, for now, He doesn’t want that heart to shine brightly in a place that is already light. Within two weeks of school starting, Jesus’s compassionate little girl became the only friend to a girl confined to a wheelchair – an opportunity she would not have had, if we’d chosen to keep her to ourselves. Every day, she gives a hug to the crossing guard and shares her stickers and coins for ice cream on Wednesdays – without mom & dad suggesting it.


I’m not worried about what the school is going to do to her. I’m excited about what God is going to do through her.


Among the pagans.

Comments

Tricia said…
Hi Amy,

I am Alicia's friend (Shoot for Eternity). I enjoyed hearing your story of you decision to have you child go to public school. I look forward to reading more on your blog. I am encouraged by your obedience to the Lord.
Thanks for continuing to share about this topic, Amy. I love this sentence: "He doesn’t want that heart to shine brightly in a place that is already light." Since Photobaby is still years away from school, this discussion speaks to me about where I'm living out my life - among the pagans or in front of them? Or not anywhere near them??
Am+a said…
(Sorry... this is a long one...)

I read the posts you did on Revelife (and most of the comments too), and I am so glad to know that you feel CALLED in a certain direction with regard to education, and that you are determined to obey the call.

I attended public school for ES, private for MS, and public again for HS. I accepted Jesus as my savior at age 7, and when my parents decided to put me in Christian school at age 10, I was very excited about being in a school where everyone was a Christian. That was SO not the case. The school was very small; most of the kids there also went to church there and had never gone to another school. Other students looked down on me b/c I had gone to public school (sneering tone implied). I had not expected to have my faith challenged in Christian school, but in subtle ways it was. There were some very sincere students and parents, but there were also plenty of judgemental, "Christian" people who did not reflect the love of Christ to others.

In spite of all of this, I am grateful that my parents made the sacrifice to let me attend there, and I'm also grateful that they allowed me to return to public HS, a place from which I thought I would have a much better chance of getting a scholarship to college (which I did). I was well-grounded in my faith during HS, and I was not afraid to be a loner; I was so relieved when I managed to make FRIENDS at public school. I was not afraid of academic rigors, and I was not afraid to challenge secular & humanistic concepts when they were taught.

The key is Jesus, really; he has to be first & foremost for parent AND child. Next behind Him is the importance of parental involvement. My parents were involved in all of my schools no matter what. Chaperoning field trips, coming to special events, being involved in homework & projects, even serving as Band Booster officers. The education of a child is a HUGE responsibility of a parent, and I'm so glad that you are not only heeding God's call for your family, but you are dedicated to BE a light in the dark place WITH your child.

When my turn comes to make decisions about my OWN children, I pray I will be able to choose with as much thought and faith as you & Matt.

Blessings,
Amanda
Amy - We've never met, but I'm a friend of the "Cool family" and found my way from their blog to yours. I so appreciate your thoughts and the way you articulate what God is teaching you. Your perspective is refreshing and thought provoking. Thanks for sharing!
Alicia said…
amy, thanks for doing this theme.
"I’m not worried about what the school is going to do to her. I’m excited about what God is going to do through her."
I think that is my favorite statement. Like abraham, sometimes the paths God leads us on feel like we are being asked to sacrafice them. I felt that way when being led to public school. He kept telling me to trust his greatness. It was humbling to think that I was not the great spiritual homeschool mom they needed! He wanted them in the midst of challenge, pagans and all.
Like you Amy, I look forward to the future of this journey because I know it's His plan!
Hey, I'm missing your blog posts! :) Hope all is well in your corner of the world!

I moved my blog tonight and wanted to let you know. It's now at http://givinguponpictureperfect.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?

Block the Door