How Cheap Are You?

I have gotten to a point where I seem to be returning at least 30% of what I buy.

Sometimes I buy with the intention of returning. Rather than dragging the kids into a 3 x 3 stall with me, I use my bedroom as a fitting room and return what doesn't fit, or what Matt says "uh...it's okay..." to. These are items in the $15 - $80 range.

Sometimes I buy without the intention of returning, until buyers' remorse hits me. When I get home and "it's on sale!" succumbs to "but we don't NEED another wacky sprinkler/funny-shaped cake pan/quirky tote bag." These returns usually put $10-$20 back in my wallet.

Sometimes I overbuy, and for the first time, this weekend I returned something to Publix. Two bags of chocolates that I would not be needing. That netted me $8.46, well worth the trip to the store I was already needing to visit.

So here's the question. I am sitting on 3 mini-spools of ribbon for which I don't have an imminent need. They were $1 each, from a craft store that is about 7 minutes away. So, let's do the math - Gas is $4/gallon. The trip would likely take me 20 minutes round trip, assuming I get in and out. $3 for 20 minutes minus $1 for gas would equal $6/hour - which is pretty well under what I make for an hour of piano lessons.

But I don't need the ribbon.

Thoughts? :)

Comments

When you look at the math, I'd just keep the ribbon, if you think you might use it someday. Especially since you said they are "mini" spools - so they're not taking up a lot of room, right?
First, I have started to get a high for returning things! Is this bad? And the ribbon... we could always use it for the First Priority Auction Baskets! (Just a thought!) ;oP
Justmatt said…
I love my cheap wife!
You should see her grocery shop! Amazing...simply amazing!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?