Two Weeks Out: Part One

Where I live, "People Like Us" don't send their children to public school.

It was "never really an option for us." If I had a dollar for every time I'd actually thought or said "public school is not an option for us," we wouldn't think twice about writing the check for one of those private schools in which we'd planned to enroll our kids.

In our "circles," the following unspoken rules are followed:

1. Private Christian school kids breed Private Christian school kids. It's the natural order of things.

2. Private Christian school kids who choose not to take out a second mortgage to pay for Private Christian school breed Homeschooled kids. It's the backup order of things.

3. Under no circumstances do Private school kids breed Public School kids. This phenomenon has no place in the order of things.

I've never been clear about the reasons why Public School Is Not An Option, but I'm pretty sure the reasons include metal detectors, evolution, SpongeBob and Creole. I'd never had to think about the reasons why. I just chose a side and followed the rules. I chose the "People Like Us" side.

But as most of you know, we believe that God has chosen a different side for us, and in 2 weeks, our baby will strap on her new backpack and waltz out of our comfort zone and into an alien world, full of "People Unlike Us."

When we made the decision to enroll our daughter in public school, it felt really good. We were excited about the programs and facilities the school offered. We liked the teachers and administrators we met. We loved the idea of bucking the system. We were intrigued by the diversity of the school's population. We looked forward to breaking out of the bubble and entering the mission field as a family.

Over the summer, I've gotten used to the raised eyebrows and lines of questioning about why we're not choosing to homeschool. I've come to expect people to over-encourage us: "Good for you! More Christians need to do that. You'll have to let us know how that goes. We just really love (blank) Christian school. It works really well for us." And I'm (almost) able to tune out the dozens of discussions I find myself in about how much time homeschool kids have to do this... or that... or how many amazing things you can do with them... I have a spiel about why we're not sending our kids here or there, and each time I tweak it just a little to make it sound a little less like I'm trying to justify our decision.

But now, my feet are cold. Frostbitten, in fact.

Artwork cc Jessie Wilcox-Smith

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amy, I know that God is very present and already working to bring His kingdom to Eden's school. I've come to believe over the last year of Marietta going to kindergarten in a public school that He is excited and ready to use this to bless your family, Eden's faith and the children and families that you'll meet. I think His heart breaks for us to step out of what is best for ourselves and choose to love others into the kingdom. yes...I'm being a little dramatic here, but I've seen what comes from a little risk, a step of faith and a small light shining in the darkness.
Autumn said…
Amy,

I have found myself stating the very same things you stated. ( Not an option...etc.) I couldn't afford Christian School...I'm still paying off the bill from the year before last. Ha! For us, Public school is an option, but for my oldest, character was an issue...more than teachers, more than evolution or anything thing else, I really wasn't concerned about all the "public school" stuff. She really wasn't handling the influence of others well at christian school...where the families had a better chance of reflecting our values...so that's why we home school right now...(and not forever)

The decision has to be made based on YOUR family, HER personality and not...because of any guilt put on you by others. YOu are probably just getting nervous b/c it's Kindergarten, not necessarily because it's Public School. :)

I will probably be doing the same thing next year (not this fall)after our new baby comes :)

If it doesn't go the way you would like it to go, or whatever, you can always change your mind. But it sounds like you have made an educated, prayerful decision, and who knows, maybe you will find a lot more "People like us" in what would seem an unlikely place.

Love,
Hip Mama
Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said…
Dawn - you guys are (and have been) a source of strength for us as we've been heading toward this, as you know from my intense lines of questioning! Thank you!!!

Hip Mama - you're totally right - I think it's more about "kindergarten" than "public school" at this point. More on that to come. Part Two is on its way!
Amy,

I also agree with Hip Mama, the decision has to be what is best for YOUR family, and HER personality! Eden is a leader, and she will make a huge impact in her kindergarten class. God has many wonderful things planned for her and obviously needs her to be in this kindergarten class.

You and Matt have provided her with a strong Christian foundation and that will be with her forever! We as a family will be praying for her and her leadership, and for peace for you! We love you guys!
Anonymous said…
Hi,
I just got caught up on all your blogs and I love the hymnal section. I TOTALLY agree. Anyway I have tried not to influence you too much, of course you know that I want to scream for joy that Eden is going to MY beloved Wilton Manors. I have had so many confirmations that God definately wants me and my son to be there. Having Eden attend is one more confirmation to me. So as you remember this decision as a Spritual Marker in your family's life, remember that your decision to send Eden to WME is also part of my answer from the Lord. Isn't He so amazing to use a five year old to affect so many other peoples lives?!! I have tears in my eyes as I write this (maybe I'm just exhausted from gettin up at 5:30) but seriously I want to thank you for sending her to my school. And a side note... I will be keeping a very watchful eye on your little princess!! :)
-Cindy

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?