Two Weeks Out: Part 3 - Fight or Flight? (or, Amy Loses Her Mind, A Little)

Tuesday was kind of a break-down day for me. As in, on Tuesday, I had a breakdown.

For reasons unknown, I had trouble starting a sentence without crying. Much less finishing one. Much like a two-year-old in need of a nap, everything was setting me off. And because I have trouble showing weakness, I get frustrated with myself when I can't pull it together. And when I get frustrated with myself...I cry more.

So, I'm blubbering around the house on Tuesday morning, more or less unable to accomplish any daily tasks, with absolutely no reason to give for why. Maybe it was the inevitability of kindergarten. Maybe it was vacation re-entry. Maybe it was the usual - crumbling under perceived expectations.

Whatever the case may have been, I did what any rational mom of 2 would do.

I took the girls to Disney World.

I probably should have just taken a nap.

But I couldn't think of anything else that would satisfy my need to "reboot." I needed to be away, to spend time with the girls, and to practice being mom - on my own. I needed to be in a place where all is right with the world.

Not that all is *not* right in my world. I just needed to be reminded.

So I did it. In what was probably the most expensive nap-alternative in history, I pricelined a great hotel, packed us up and road-tripped to the Happiest (and Hottest) Place on Earth.

And now we're back - refreshed, awake, and newly rational.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Amy, you just needed a little Disney... no excuse necessary.

I'm glad things are better. I missed seeing you all on Monday! Hang in there though, God never said it would be easy... but he did say that you can squash all the bugs you want.

Smiles,

Mocha
berry said…
it's crazy the good things you can bring back from a trip to Disney World.
I hope you're staying sane.
cool mum said…
that is absolutely crazy in an awesome way--i LOVE disney! i don't know how in the world you handled the heat though. whew that is serious commitment to an idea...did you at least have one of those water-misting fans?
Amy said…
Mocha, your comment made me laugh out loud. We missed the chat, too!

Berry - BARELY sane. :)

CM- Funny you should mention the heat! Even though I spent a summer working there, in black polyester pants and a jacket, outside, I don't remember EVER being as hot as I was on Wednesday. I have always considered those misty-fan-buyers suckers, but for the first time in 20 years or so, I broke down and spent $17 on the blasted misty fan. And Icees. And any bottles of water that I could find.
Anonymous said…
I like that phrase "newly rational." I hope to feel that way someday.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?