Sounds like...

A couple days ago, Eden had a fire drill in school. I forgot to warn her about fire drills. She hates loud noises, so my understanding is that she spent the duration of the fire drill buried in her teacher's side.

Today, Eden's class had another kind of drill. According to Eden, it was a "Volcano Drill." She explained that instead of going outside, they got on the ground real close to the wall and tucked their heads between their knees. Seems like a bad idea to me - my instincts would tell me that in the event of volcanic eruption, you run like crazy. Although, really, a volcano in South Florida would likely symbol Jesus's arrival - so maybe on your knees is the place to be.

Or maybe it was a tornado drill.

Comments

berry said…
ahhh, the dreaded volcano drill. how clearly I remember my teacher commanding us to hover under the desk as hot lava flowed up and burned our feet. I never understood that.
Oh, that's cute! Sometimes words are tricky!

When I was little, my mom told me the proper thing to say when someone knocks on the door of a public restroom you're currently using is, "Occupied." (Why did she think I could remember that? What was wrong with "just a minute!"?)

So when the time came that I was in a public bathroom and someone knocked, I said in my most proper child's voice, "Octopus!"
DagoodS said…
A sad commentary on our world, though, is that in addition to Fire Drills and “Volcano” Drills, my children also practice a drill they call “Something’s Happening Drill.” It is in the event of a Columbine incident.

Pretty scary to think of your kindergartner having to practice preparing for such an event…
Anonymous said…
DagoodS, too true! We were just talking about this! My parents mentioned the "nuclear drills" they'd have in the 50s, and I expect that most schools/systems have some kind of "lockdown" drill. We haven't experienced that one yet. Not looking forward to explaining those.
Anonymous said…
Yeah, I spent the next 15 minutes after the volcano (tornado) drill assuring the first graders that the school was safe and it was only a drill etc.... And Eden missed yet another fire drill on Friday, it was a disaster for first grade. They changed our route and the first teacher went the wrong way and the rest of us dum-dums followed. We ended up with a walking tour around the building. As far as the lock down drill, that's the easiest. We don't do anything. No bells or sounds. They just announce it and we can't leave the room, but life goes on as normal. Gotta love those drills!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Block the Door

It's Time to Stop the Bleeding: A Manifesto on Friendship