Reality Check

We're young, hip folks.

I mean, this is what I like to believe.

Come on! We work with youth! I teach piano to middle school girls. I teach Sunday School to high schoolers. Matt hangs out with middle schoolers and actually knows all the boys in youth group by name.

I send text messages to my friends. I chat with my peeps online (thanks, cool parents!) I write on Facebook walls.

We know more celebrity trivia than anyone out of college should ever know. We watch a LOT of movies and can keep up with most conversations about TV (though we have to smile & nod mutely occasionally, or artfully change the subject before someone calls our bluff). Matt is addicted to OUR ipod. I know all the words to High School Musical 1 & 2.

We have our fingers on the proverbial pulse.

See, now, I am proving my own point. I have used that "finger on the pulse" phrase like 3 times this week, which just may mean I'm not as young and hip as I think I am. I think young hip people say something like "she knows what's up." Or maybe it's "down."

More supporting evidence: I joined a gym this week. I am the only member who could not possibly be considered for a lead role on a Golden Girls remake. Young, hip people do not work out with me. Old people with bad hips work out with me.

And finally: I contacted a babysitter today. My instructions were to call her "on her cell." Not unusual. I've set up entire babysitting engagements by text messaging before. The difference here is that this is a sitter I have known for a really long time. Like, since she was born. Before that even... as I have very clear memories of being at her parents' wedding.

I guess it's the new circle of life. The old phase out when the new get their own cell phones.

Comments

Autumn said…
Did you join my club and not tell me? Ha! Well, I'm back...and caught up with your blog...hopefully i can attend one of these cool summer things you've invited me too...but things just are settling down. I liked the one about the month of may!

Talk to you soon.

Hip Mama
Justmatt said…
Wow. I had no idea I was married to someone so old : )
Good thing I'm so hip! Wait did I just say hip? Does anyone ever say that anymore? Well, if not - I am bringing it back baby! Cause that is the kind of HIP trendsetter I am!
What I dread in deliverying my first grandpatient! There are seven year old children running around borm into my hands. In less then ten years, one of them could walk into my office for prenatal care. I will be absolutely convinced of my own antiquity.
Amy said…
Hip Mama - welcome back! I've missed you! No it's not your club, but as I typed that I thought of you!

Jennifer - I totally get that, too! It's a hazard of living in one place too long, when the circles start regenerating. Eden is involved in several of the same activities/places that I was when I was her age...it's just, well, oldifying.
Anonymous said…
30 is the new 40

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?