New Blog Feature: Wednesday Warm Fuzzies!

It's a source of comfort. Something you have a hard time putting down. Maybe it puts a smile on your face. Maybe it makes you want to call a friend. Maybe it makes you feel like a kid again.

It's that thing that you have to take one last look at before putting away, or recite in your head for the zillionth time before falling asleep.

Whatever it is, you know the feeling. Its presence in your life at that moment fills you with nostalgia, sentiment, peace. It's a little reminder that indeed, everything is - or will be - okay.

It's a Wednesday Warm Fuzzy!

It would seem that I have a long list of warm fuzzy triggers, and I am choosing to share them with all five of my faithful readers. Tune in on Wednesdays for the next installment! I would love for you to join in! Share yours! Here is today's experience, the one that inspired my new tradition.

The Setup:
So today, I'm standing in the Christian bookstore and it happens. My eyes lock in on a book, my hands reach for it and I can't put it back down. I fear that right there, between Manning and Moore and Yancey and Smalley I am going to make a scene. My skin is kinda tingly, the blood in my (recently traumatized) veins starts to simmer a bit and I am transported to another time and place. My eyes sting with sentimental tears as I hear the words I'm staring down...

The Warm Fuzzy:

"It's Friday. But Sunday's comin'."

The History:

It's a book by Tony Campolo. I actually know nothing about the book. But my beloved youth pastor introduced us to Tony and his stories. With tears in his eyes, he would use Tony's stories to teach us about a radical way to live, about the hope that only faith in Jesus can inspire. And then, one night, Tony came to our church, and I wish I'd known then what a gift that was. I can still hear him tell the story about the bellowing pastor who built his entire sermon on those five words, and simply seeing them in print is enough to cause me to smile like a fool in the bookstore. I am filled with nostalgia for my youth pastor, my youth group and Tony Campolo. And I am filled with hope thanks to the truth of those five words.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?