Peter, Gomer & me.

As our year of studying the Book of Matthew comes to a close, we are studying the Passion Week. I should be working on my lesson right now, actually. But I'm not. I'm musing instead.

After Peter betrayed Jesus for the third time, one of the gospels says that Jesus - in the hands of his captors -turned and looked at him, a dramatic moment in an intense love story.

What was Jesus thinking as he watched his best friend deny their relationship? Can a sovereign God be disappointed, if already knowing the outcome? Can he be angry - if he is on his way to complete the greatest act of mercy in the history of the world? Can he be sad - or would that be feeling sorry for himself? Did he, in an act of cruelty, make eye contact to sink Peter further into his depths of repentant despair?

We were asked last week to answer the question: "What do you think Jesus feels when he looks at you?"

I spent some time asking myself the questions above. And I can't believe he's disappointed. I can't believe he's angry or cruel or feeling sorry for himself or me. What I see is Hosea.

Hosea, waiting faithfully for Gomer to get it right - knowing that she won't fully get it right until the eternal restoration. I see him standing there, waiting for the time when I can stop screwing around and we can be together, forever.

Comments

I don't think of Hosea. I think of the father, looking a long way off, seeing his lost son drawing near the house. I think he just wants us to come home.
Justmatt said…
Different Players - same story. I agree that God wants us to come home or come back to him - but we just keep "screwing around" as Amy says. What I love about your example Jennifer is that he doesn't just wait for us. When he see us heading in his direction he grabs the best robe, rings and sandles - demands a party with the best food and runs to meet us with his open arms. No matter what we've done or do - He will still run to us.
Also, when your have been in the far country and you decide to draw back to father's house, don't wonder at the noise of the feast. Don't ask yourself, "who is this party for?" It is for you! The lost son is home. Get you seal, dance the reel, eat the veal. You are home.
Justmatt said…
Nice rhymning! Didn't know you could rap!
Autumn said…
However you look at it whether as Hosea or as the father waiting to welcome the lost son...it was supremely encouraging. Thank you!

BTW...I hope you aren't too upset with me regarding the gift certificate....I feel like such a jerk. :(

Feeling not-so-very HIP MAMA
Noelle said…
Finally catching up - and amazed once again at His perfect timing and placement of encouragement in my life. Thanks for musing "out loud." :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Put me in, Coach! Or don't. That's cool too.

It's Time to Stop the Bleeding: A Manifesto on Friendship