When I Leave I want to go out like Elijah

I'm in the ravine.

It's my new excuse.

Like it? I got it from Pastor this Sunday. He got it from Elijah.

Elijah the Prophet was commanded to tell King Ahab that a big drought was coming. Then he was commanded to run for his life, specifically into the Kerith Ravine. There Elijah would be safe, hidden and provided for - by ravens.

Pastor likened Elijah's time in the ravine to "training camps," those periods of time where God pulls us out of action and beats us up a bit. Or a lot. He talked about illness, financial difficulty, being a mom of young children...

Being a mom of young children?! Training camp? Being hidden away for a time? What if that's what this time really is about - being hidden away while God preps me for service, for whatever service he really has in mind. Elijah's time in the ravine came before he called down fire, before he trained Elisha, before he left in his chariot of fire.

So maybe now, instead of saying "no, I can't" whenever I'm asked to serve, people will start hearing "Not yet! I'm in the ravine!"

Comments

Justmatt said…
I like your thoughts here and I agree that this is where you are. God IS preparing you for something great - it is just a little rough getting there. Remember though, as you go through this "training camp" - if you're gonna spew, spew in this...
I am amazed at all the work you are doing while you are in your ravine! I can't wait to see what great things God has for you when he has beat you up enough. This is going to be good! Also, I have every intention of stealing this expression from you, your pastor, and Elijah!
I have felt like running to a ravine to hide! I like your thought process here, it is a lot more heroic and Godly. So, my new outlook is... I'm not running to a ravine, God is pulling me into a ravine.
Autumn said…
Here, Here! Me Too...and I second everyone's comments too!

Hip Mama

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?