The Secret to Life

The more I live, the more I am convinced that the key to gliding through life joyfully is this:


Managing expectations.


Concerning our own expectations: It's tricky to find the balance between optimistic and unrealistic, and contrarily, between realistic and Debbie Downer.


It's also tricky to manage the expectations other people have for you. Here, the balance is in selecting those to meet, and those to set right. This is more than tricky. It's just plain exhausting, really.


What a breath of fresh air are those friends and family who expect nothing, yet love as if you've exceeded their wildest dreams. God, let me be one of those.

Comments

Unknown said…
Though you "volunteer" with us in working with students, we do appreciate your friendship more than anything.

So I hope that we are more in the "appreciative friendzone" than the "expecting exhausters."

And I am going to copyright those words (along with copywright)!!!
Amy said…
I like how "volunteer" is in "quotes." :)

This wasn't pointed at anyone - I was just browsing through my old blogs and pulled it up. It was written during a time when I just found myself "not meeting expectations" all over the place, and I'd had it.

You guys definitely fall in the "breath of fresh air" category, except that you keep not meeting our Cold Stone expectations. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?