Dancing with the Stars is NOT supposed to make me cry.

I don't know if I have confessed to this yet, but I'm a weeper.

I have certain triggers. They are:
1. The first note of any powerful orchestral movement performed live.
2. Patriotism.
3. Broadway curtain calls.
4. Just about any part of any Broadway show. (all bets are off - it could happen at any time)
5. Underdog stories.
6. The beauty of Grace, manifested in creation, acts of healing, restoration and forgiveness.

And, now:
7. Marlee Matlin, dancing deaf on Dancing with the Stars.
This fascinates me so greatly. I have always found her stunning and graceful. Now I find her miraculous. Have you seen this?

Unable to hear the music she is dancing to, she relies on her partner to "be her music." She is completely reliant on her interpreter for all communication. She seems undaunted by a challenge that seems impossible, performing with confidence, grace and beauty. It is one thing to be able to count out the rhythm, but to perform so musically without being able to actually hear the music... what a tremendous gift.

Tonight she performed to She's Always A Woman by Billy Joel, and her performance brought tears to a choked-up Carrie Ann Inaba's eyes. Mine filled up in response, and my list of weepy triggers gets longer.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I too watched her dance last night with amazement and got teary also...she has amazing grace and talent. just mom
Justmatt said…
I just don't understand how she does it...Truly amazing.
AHHH, I see. Yes, it is amazing. Don't feel bad about being a weeper. There are times when a good Hallmark commercial can tear me up!
Amy said…
Ah! yes! Hallmark commercials should be on the list. And Publix commercials. They get me every time, even when I know what's coming. In fact, I could even start dripping just telling you about a Publix commercial.
Oh. yes! Pubilx commercials are good for that. My personal favorite is the "homemade valentine's day cake" which the kid gives to his mom. I have to go find a tissue!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?