What about ME?

Earlier this week, we went to the park.

This is your typical East Ft. Lauderdale park, populated by Nannies and kids with names like "Kennedy." (which I happen to think is a really cool name). I'm sure if we were to sell all the cars in the parking lot, we could feed a small impoverished nation.

In spite of its glittering social scene, we love this park. Having grown up playing Tee Ball in these fields and tennis on these courts, I feel at home here. I feel a sense of belonging. A sense of oneness with this acreage in the middle of town. I feel, a little bit, like I own this place.

Until Tuesday.

On Tuesday, as I packed up the car I noticed that the car next to me had received a glossy postcard shoved into the driver's window. "European Spa & Wax."

I checked my window to remove my postcard before I closed the door, but - no postcard. I checked the ground so I could keep from littering, but didn't see it. I assumed, at this point, that the car next to me had been there longer than I had - until I noticed that EVERY SINGLE CAR IN THE PARKING LOT HAD AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR A FREE WAX AT THE EUROPEAN SPA - but mine.

So what am I to think about this? What does my Mazda MPV say that the Volvo, or Mercedes, or Acura or Escalade next to me didn't say?

Why do the Flyer Distributors not think that the driver of a Mazda MPV would be interested in a little self-pampering?

Comments

Loren Eaton said…
The lesson here is obvious.

You must buy an expensive car. Immediately.
cool mum said…
It's a compliment...Maybe they saw you getting out of your car with perfectly shaped eyebrows.
Okay, I don't know why you were overlooked. However, the subject of waxing has been much discussed at work recently. I could write a dissertation on bikini waxing, patterns and so on. You would not believe the things I've seen. My dear friend, Josephine, in preparation for a cruise, had a Brazilian wax done. She informed us that she liked the results but found the process more painful than childbirth, expensive, and too invasive. Her "waxing technician" knows her better than her gynecologist. So, maybe it was good that you were skipped.
Amy said…
It's kind of an interesting phenomenon, that the more "expensive" cars were offered something "FREE." But yes, Loren, I'm on the hunt for the car that says "offer me free services for the elite."

CoolMum, I did consider that. Maybe they saw me and thought, that girl (with the perfectly shaped eyebrows) has more sense than to spend more money than necessary on this service.

And Jennifer- thanks for the visuals. I shudder thinking about it. Eyebrows are one thing...

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?