Definitive Entertainment

While perusing the church bulletin this morning, I noticed an announcement about an upcoming Senior Adults' retreat.

It was actually called an "Enclave," which I am assuming is another word for "Retreat," because it's being held at a retreat center. I wonder if they use a different word because that demographic has generally reached the phase in life where they spend most of their time retreating, and need to do more enclaving?

Anyway, I took particular notice of the ad because my Presbyterian grandmother attends the Senior Adult "Baptist Bible Study" at my church. But she never refers to it as my church. I mean, she will never say, "I was up at your church today." It is always: "I was up at the Baptist church today..." I don't understand, but I'm guessing it comes from a long ago time when there were two churches in town: Baptist and Presbyterian.

There is a point to this little blog. And here it is. The announcement gave details of the weekend, including the scheduled entertainment. Who do you bring in to entertain age-enhanced Southern Baptists? A bluegrass duo, of course.

I was amused at how easy that decision must have been to make, and because I was in church, my mind started wandering. When my parents' demographic is being targeted for entertainment, there is invariably a Doo-wop Artist or a Beatles tribute band or a Crooner or the actual Beach Boys, because they are still performing, in case you didn't know. Any of the above would please the masses. The natural progression of thought is, then: What will it be for us?

When our generation is planning an "Enclave," or when we are 50-something incentive trip attendees, what entertainment will the event planners choose to please the masses?

Your thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments

I am the wrong person to ask. When I was a resident assistant (RA) at UGA, I was informed that Kurt Cobain had committed suicide. My first response, "Oh, no! Who was his RA?" My IPod is full of Billie Holliday, Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett, Bob Marley, Janis Joplin, VeggieTales... I have no idea to what "my generation" listens.
Amy said…
Loren, that is a brilliant suggestion. She'll probably be looking for work!
Jen, I know! I'm the same way. We were watching the Grammys last night and I had only heard of ONE of the "best new artist" nominees. HEARD of. Not heard. Just "heard of." I'd be ever- satisfied with a Billy Joel tribute performance (assuming the Man Himself won't still be with us).
Loren Eaton said…
I kind of figure that she's always entertaining. Even when she's not performing. Musically, that is.
Anonymous said…
DC Talk reunion?
--Rhoda
Cool Dad said…
jack and lexi's mom (jen, i presume) - thank you for the Kurt Cobain comment. what a great anecdote.

as long as there are retreats/enclaves, i think American Idol finalists will have always have a job.
Justmatt said…
Cool dad once again you are dead on...THIS is what AI is created for....Daughtry will be at our enclave..
You are quite welcome, Cool Dad. I never back away from humilitating myself in the service of a good story!
Jennifer
Anonymous said…
You know me, If I am going to an Enclave it better be REO, STYX, ABBA, Def Lepard, Journey, or at a lower budget church perhaps Starship, Menudo, or Christopher Cross....If we are encouraged to select from the Christian genre, we can only hope that Mylon Lefevre, Russ Taff and perhaps Mac & Crowder, and Mr. Tomlin would be willing to take a weekend off from there still packed venues...It appears judging by Smitty, and Mr. Chapman that the Christian community may hang on to their heroes for a longer time period, making it difficult for them to participate in even the largest enclave...Do you remeber Jimi Ray? Was that his name?
Amy said…
Too true, sister. (Hey everyone! Welcome my sister!) This reminds me that there would be plenty of aging boy bands available, too. NKOTB, anyone?

Look for a blog soon about how, thanks largely to my sister, I stand no chance of being "hip" musically. In fact, maybe I'll write it tonight.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?