To Geek, or not to Geek?

So, what would you do?

I excel at Jeopardy! On good days, I can bang out entire categories while making dinner or setting the table at the same time. I know the tricks. I have that kind of brain. And I heart Alex.

What geek hasn't entertained the idea of trying out? It's the only game show that requires any intellect. But I'm a big talker. If I had a dollar for every time I've said: "If Jeopardy ever does a contestant search here, I'm there," well, then, I wouldn't need to collect my winnings.

So now, the Brain Bus rolls into town Saturday morning. First 1,000 brainiacs are guaranteed a pre-test. Ten questions and you're through the first round. I'm not sure what that means, but the truth is that now, I am terrified. What if I pass the pre-test, and then whatever other tests, and then find myself standing opposite Alex, asking for "Swords for $1000?"

I believe the words "dismal failure" came out of mom's mouth when I expressed my fears. Those were her fears, but they're pretty appropriate.

But it's my chance! What if I'm able to channel my inner Ken Jennings?

Comments

Loren Eaton said…
Geek, most certainly. It never hurts to try. If you don't make it, a few of us will, ah, "rearrange" Alex Trebek's car with an umbrella, a la Britney.
berry said…
please go geek for us. if you get on there will be wild Jeopardy parties in Gainesville. I'm imagining InterVarsity students crowded around the TV in 6 months or whenever it would come on rooting for an IV alumna!
Justmatt said…
Your mom expects 'dismal failure"? It is early and perhaps I am not reading it correctly...but that is not the motivation I would expect... And I still say - Go FOR IT!
Amy said…
I think "dismal failure" was what mom expected to happen if *she* were ever on the show. We'll see, we'll see...
Unknown said…
Would it be motivation enough to say that I would forever consider you a "dismal failure" if you didn't try out?

I never could because you are just under "cool mum and cool dad" in my book, but if saying mean things would help, then whatever I can do...
Justmatt said…
It is always nice to know that Brad will step up to the plate and hurl insults... He's good like that when needed.
Don't leave something undone because you might fail. Abject humiliation is not fatal. Even if you flop, it is one more great story to tell your grandchildren. And if you succeed...
Rebecca said…
I'm telling you, it's like the Oscars. It's an honor just to be nominated and get the privilege of showing up and getting to walk the red, er, blue, carpet.
I will be extremely disappointed if you don't go! Not only do I have complete faith in you and your unbelievable brains, but... THE STORIES for the Grandkids!!!!
Cool Dad said…
Are you studying your flash cards? Are you randomly browsing through Wikipedia absorbing every page?

We look forward to hearing how it goes!
Justmatt said…
Everybody now...
AMY! AMY! AMY! AMY!
cool mum said…
Do it for all of your blog friends (or maybe it's just me) who have never answered a Jeopardy question correct in their entire lives!
Justmatt said…
Do it for Darrell Hammond!
Amy said…
Flash cards! I need flash cards! Cool Dad, you've freaked me out. Hmm...such an overwhelming response to this one! I guess I'm catching the Brain Bus tomorrow!
Cool Dad said…
Sorry for the flash card freak out (good name for a high school movie). We just said a prayer for your trivia knowledge!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?

Block the Door