Slaughterhouse-Five

Mrs. Allyson: Slaughterhouse Five. Isn't that an awful name?
Ren: Yeah, it's a classic. Slaughterhouse Five? It's a classic
.
Mrs. Allyson: Maybe in ANOTHER town it's a classic.
Ren: In ANY town.

My only knowledge of this book was from Footloose, where Kevin Bacon's character names Slaughterhouse Five as a classic - much to the surprise of the indignant, book burning townsfolk.

So when the library was out of Wodehouse, I scanned the nearby shelves for something on the "to-read" list and picked up Vonnegut. For a self-described "anti-war" book it was, I thought, pretty apolitical - as apolitical as being anti-war can be, I suppose.

I enjoyed Vonnegut's style and was interested in the flashback/flashforward/what's real/what's imagined timeline of protagonist Billy Pilgrim's experience. It was gruesome and gory and crude and bizarre at times, but so is war. Overall, I found Slaughterhouse Five an unpreachy, thought-provoking tale of the mind-altering effects of surviving hell on earth. Anyone else?

Comments

Loren Eaton said…
Much to my embarrassment, I have never read anything by Vonnegut, with the exception of a couple short stories. Also, the only thing I know about Slaughterhouse Five comes from Footloose. Hmmm ... Might have to check it out.

I have to agree that the Broward County library system has an abysmally small selection of P.G. Wodehouse available, although I did manage to find the complete Jeeves stories in one volume. I don't think I've ever laughed so much.
I love Vonnegut but must in in the mood to read him. Wodehouse on the other hand is soul satisfying! I read him when I need easy, funny, and comfortable.
Try Alexander McCall Smith.
Amy said…
Thanks to the two of you, I am a Wodehouse devotee now! I read *Carry On, Jeeves* and laughed out loud. And I adore Alexander McCall Smith, too. I think I read all of The #1 Ladies Detective Agency Series. I have another of his on-deck. (After I finish the Wodehouse my mom just lent me!)
Loren Eaton said…
McCall Smith rocks, although I didn't enjoy his von Igelfeld series as much as The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?

Block the Door