I'm sorry, did I ruin your day?

A while ago, I saw this series of photos on David Kuo's blog.

I didn't need the photo to slap me - every day, the pile of plastic bags in our garage larger than my oldest child convicts me about our plastic bag usage. We do recycle them - that is, we return them to the store and shove them in the green bin outside the door, who knows what happens after that - but still, we consume a lot of plastic. Consume, and then discard. We are responsible for the art on David's blog.

So twice now, I have asked for paper bags for my dry groceries at Publix. Twice, I have had the same bagger. Twice, she has grumbled and muttered things under her breath. Twice, it has taken 50% longer to check out, because she has to play Tetris to get the dry goods into the bags.

Then, twice, she has held up the whole process further because she has a theory about the order in which the bags must go into the cart.

This girl used to talk to me. She had a lot to say. She'd ask about the kids, tell me about her niece. She was a generally friendly bagger. Now, it seems, we are mortal enemies. Me and my paper bags. Sheesh.

Today, she went so far as to just thrust the bags at me while I loaded them into the back of the car myself. Protect the environment on your own time, lady.

I love Publix, I think they do so many things so very well. But now, I think they should post this photo all over their stores, and offer people a rebate or discount or something for using their own canvas bags, or bringing back the plastic bags, or choosing paper, or smiling at this grouchy bagger...

Comments

Justmatt said…
Are the paper bags better b/c they are biodegradable and the plastic are not? We do need to get canvas ones... I am sure of that.
Loren Eaton said…
Always had fun with this dilemma in college. Let's see, if you use plastic you're pumping non-biodegradable materials into landfills; if you use paper you're slashing acres of virgin forest; if you you cloth you're exploiting cheap sweatshop labor.
Amy said…
It seems like slashing the virgin forests is the lesser evil, since they'll grow back and all. Also, paper bags are useful for numerous arts and crafts projects, of which this family cannot get enough. But what if I'm using cloth bags I already have, or if I make it a point to collect bags that are being handed out free, making someone's previous sweatshop work at least a little worthwhile? I recognize there's no good answer short of shoving cans of peas in my pockets to carry them home.
Loren Eaton said…
My environmental science class concluded that the best way to solve the problem--I kid you not--was reduction of the birth rate. (Sorry for the awful pun.) The general consensus was that anything over replacement rate was immoral, and since no one can whelp fractional children that meant one kid per family. Fewer kids, less consumption. Of course, fewer kids also means fewer ideas, which results in fewer enegery-saving innovations.

Okay, stepping down off the hobby horse.

By the way, it sounds like your bagger at Publix was a real jerk!
Loren Eaton said…
Also, I do know how to spell "energy"--ruhlly.
Amy said…
or, more kids, more pockets to stuff cans of peas in!
I love my canvas Trader Joe's bags. They are running sweat shops are they? I don't think I can face tomorrow if Trader Joe's is evil!
Anonymous said…
PLUG: IKEA makes you bring your own canvas bags.

~Vanessa
cool mum said…
We use Chico Bags...they aren't canvas...they are wonderful (except when we forget and leave them at home)!!! www.chicobag.com
Amy said…
CM - thanks for the tip on the Chico Bags! I went to the site and love them! I've been thinking of persuading our church to order something like that in bulk - those would be perfect...

Jennifer - i'm so jealous you have a Trader Joes! We're the last to get everything cool.

Vanessa - IKEA "makes" you? How can they do that? Fascinating. p.s. we ate Greenwise meat last night in the soup.
cool mum said…
Amy--if you want, email me and I can send you a couple! We have some extras (long story). The name of our blog (no spaces) at gmail.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?

Block the Door