Excuse me, you dropped this...

So, this week I am making some observations. You read earlier about my tendency toward the eccentric. Surely there are a dozen other examples, but you'll have to ask my husband about them.

Today's (second) observation is that in case of emergency, I could probably contact just about any Hollywood personality, NFL football player, NASCAR driver, Christian recording artist and/or Weird Al Yankovic.

Technically this is not a new observation, but a fact of my life. However, it did come up this week as sort of a surreal realization. (A surrealization, perhaps?) And it's not something I talk about unless it comes up, so, go with me here.

See, I used to work here. I worked in a department that had a lot to do with people like this. And, well, these guys too. From time to time, my job required spending a day with someone like this, or this, who is now in trouble for this. (Which is really a shame because I liked him a lot.)

I also worked on some events that involved these kinds of people.

But I moved on, and so did my friends. And I live a fairly normal, quiet life. But my friends kept doing cool things, like working with these guys. Or writing for this organization. I've got a friend here, and- oh! -I have a friend who used to work here, but quit for lack of editorial freedom or something. (what was it again?? Chime in, I know you're reading...)

When a new reality show's season begins, the first question my family asks is: Do we know anyone on it? Because we knew this guy, and I grew up with him. And I went to school with most of this cast. A girl from this show sang at my brother's wedding, because they'd been friends in high school, and I've known this guy since birth.

What does all this mean? Not a thing. Just that I think it's an unusual number of connections to celebrity for one very un-celebrity person. And I suppose it's oddly comforting to know that if I needed to contact her because someone had a gun to my head, I could probably make it happen.

p.s., I neglected to mention (and so did Matt in all of his comments,) that my husband grew up with one of these guys.

Comments

Justmatt said…
Wait a minuite.. you can get in touch with Weird AL!!!!!! Why have you never mentioned this before?!
Amy said…
oh, uh, yeah. I am 2 degrees of separation from Weird Al.
Amy said…
Former UO coworker, whose name I won't reveal.
Justmatt said…
Well then - all I want for Christmas is an autographed Weird Al something - or a backyard concert.
Amy said…
I don't know if that qualifies as an "emergency." Stage some kind of terminal illness and then we'll see. Or maybe a hurricane will wipe our house away someday and we'll catch the eye of Ty Pennington, who will come and rebuild our house and we'll ask him to raise money for our kids' college fund by holding a Weird Al Backyard concert after they move that bus.
Justmatt said…
All these stipulations lead me to believe that you sit on a throne of lies! : )
Cool Dad said…
And you're married to Will Ferrell. That's pretty close to celebrity!
Justmatt said…
How many cool points does she get for that? : )

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Block the Door

It's Time to Stop the Bleeding: A Manifesto on Friendship