(one of the reasons) Why My Kid is Cool



A few months ago, Eden saw a Wonder Woman costume in a catalog. She cut it out, glued it to a piece of paper and affixed it to the fridge - a constant reminder of her big Halloween plans. To our knowledge, she had never been introduced to Wonder Woman - she just knows a cool costume when she sees one.

And it is a very cool costume. We tell her that (every day) when she puts it on. She looks fantastic, ready for anything.

So on Friday, she was thrilled to wear it to school. Wrist shields, gold headband & belt were in place - though we swapped the red & white striped boot covers that slide down her legs for her awesome cowgirl boots, which don't slide down her legs. She didn't walk through the hall - it was a confident, boot-assisted strut. We opened the classroom door to see... 9 girls dressed as Disney Princesses. 3 Belles barricaded her at the door, having perfected the Mean Girl snarl that says, "Didn't you get the memo? This is the year of the Princess." I think there was an audible "What ARE you?"

Immediately I entered panic mode, planning my strategy for the imminent meltdown. How quickly could I run home and grab one of the 4 princess dresses we have there? Or do I tell her (again) that she looks really cool and ...

...this is what makes my kid cool: she didn't care. Wonder Woman complimented everyone on their costumes and started a dance party.

But the day wasn't over. Eden had been invited to a "birthday tea party," and my better judgment did tell me to grab a dress for her to change into. We pull into the driveway and what do I see but...8 Princesses in full regalia run by the window.

I grabbed one of the other moms - "Was she supposed to be in costume?"

"Well, it said on the invitation to wear your favorite princess dress..."

(I checked after the party and my invitation DID NOT say anything about that - it was like a cruel middle school joke.)

But my cool little kid resisted every offer for me to bring her one of her fancy dresses, to borrow a dress, to have her hair or makeup done...there was a party going on and she didn't want to miss it.

I think she could teach me a few things.

Comments

Justmatt said…
We really are blessed! (I say as I sit here at my desk practically bawling...)
berry said…
your kid is cool. there's no denying that. our daughter was all set to be Spiderman for weeks. she told everyone and pre-wore her costume proudly.

but when the day came she couldn't resist the opportunity to wear jewelry and shed her Spidey costume for one of her old Ariel outfits. to her defense it wasn't due to any peer pressure, she's just a girly girl and that is something I will have to learn to understand.

but I digress, your kid is definitely cool!
Amy said…
Bear - it's the knowing what they want - in spite of what everyone else is doing - that makes them cool. Your kid knows what she wants, and she is undeniably cool. Hooray for cool kids!
Anonymous said…
skamonkey39@hotmail.com!! love ya <3
My child not only resisted the "Princess" trap, she dictated what the rest of us would be, the Mystery Inc Gang. Lexi: Scooby-Doo
Mil: Shaggy (type casting) Jack: Freddie Me: Daphne (anti-type casting)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?