I'm a flight risk...


I was recently invited (again) to create a LinkedIn profile. The other day, a friend said I was the "hippest person she knew" because I had a blog. I must be off the charts cool now - with my new LinkedIn profile and all.

What an interesting learning experience that was. Here's a brief explanation for those of you not LinkedIn: You put your resume online so everyone who is LinkedIn can see it. You find your friends who are LinkedIn, who then introduce you to relevant contacts who are also LinkedIn. I will never need this service.

The interesting part was this:

In my head, I am an experienced professional. I am wildly talented in many areas. When I decide to go back to work one day, all I will have to do is walk into an HR office and be handed an executive position. My experience canvasses several industries. I have worked well independently and as a team. At this moment, I am CHOOSING to stay home with my family and pick up projects as they present themselves. I control my own destiny.

But, according to LinkedIn (or, when I see my resume in print): I haven't held a job for more than a year. Except for the job as a preschool teacher's aide, where I started a school year late, had a summer off, and left the next year early to have a baby - which added up to only 13 months.

Nor have I held a position with a title higher than "coordinator." I'd have sworn I had management experience in there somewhere.

I'm glad I have an active imagination. I am really quite a catch in there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You seem like executive material to me.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?