Sometimes, I don't pay attention in church


I made up a new word!

As you may know, I have a hard time paying attention during the service these days. I really do try, but when there are sermon notes calling me to play "fill in the blanks," I just can't help myself. It's like a churchy Mad Lib. Who can resist?

Truthfully, I haven't allowed myself to get into making up funny answers - because, being my own biggest fan, I fear I will crack myself up and get to uncontrollable giggling and that, in my 30 years of maturity, is really what I concentrate my efforts to avoid each week.

No, I honestly try to come up with the right answers before Pastor gets to them. I'm pretty good. Sometimes he throws a surprise in there for me, but most of the time, if I land on the right alliteration (all 'C's', for example) then I'm golden.

Today, however, was not one of those days. He was all over the place. But, I was confident that I'd nailed the third blank: "Loneliness can deepen your ________." Perfect answer? Faith! Right? Deepening your faith is a very churchy answer!

Well, I saw it coming when the first blank of that series was "creativity." Oh no. "Faith" and "Creativity" do not start with the same letter. But the next one was "Sensitivity." Aha, he's going with suffixes this time. -ivities. But "faith" was such a good answer! I wasn't going to give it up. And since I had already inscribed "Faith"... we have the birth of a new word. Ready?

"FAITHITIVITY"

I confess - I initially wrote it to make myself laugh. But then I looked at it, and I think it's a pretty darn cool word. (He was looking for "spirituality," by the way - which wasn't fair because it doesn't have an "ivity," just an "ity." How can I keep up with him when he keeps changing the rules?)

Anyway -- maybe "faithitivity" is what the church should be all about. I think it may be the key! Faithitivity: The activity that comes with faith.

Here's to more faithitivity!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am totally going to watch you all the time in church now to see when you crack yourself up! Good job . . now you've got me distracted as well! Way to bring me down amy! :)
Leslie
Anonymous said…
Hey Amy! It's Erin. You know, Jimmy's fiance :)
I'd love to read your family blog, so invite me!!! I miss you guys!

<3 erin
Anonymous said…
Hi Amy,
I'm so excited that I am actually in a "blog" and leaving a comment. Maybe I am moving into the 21st century! You know how I struggle with technology. I love your new word. Maybe you should write an alternative dictionary. I like making up words too!
Love ya,
Cindy
PS. I would love to see your angelic kids (maybe my future daugher in laws!) send ma an invite!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

A Baptism Story

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?